living room decorating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i've recently decided to redecorate my living room.

i've pulled up the awful carpet and sanded the floor to my best ability*

i've stripped the wall paper (in some places 3 layers) and i've been left with this awful orange stuff half way up the concrete walls. my intention is to paint the walls white, but i am concerned about this orange stuff, which i've sanded by hand, it is very stubborn to remove, i am pretty certain if i paint the walls, the orange will be still visible, also the walls aren't great and the finish won't be very good, does anyone have any ideas as to what i should do?

Sponsored Links
Just how bad are the walls?

If you could post a photo it would help.

the walls aren't in the best shape. i think if i could remove this orange stuff i'd have a better idea of how good the walls actually are.

photo.jpg

I wouldn't be too concerned about the orange colour as you can always use a stain blocking primer such as Zinsser 123.

The main thing is to get the walls smooth. Sand as much as you can back to a sound surface. Then if the walls are not smooth get a big bag of powder filler. i think B&Q do an economical one called easifil. I dont have a B&Q near me so not sure.

then invest in a wide filler knife, mine is about 10" wide, and then go over the whole wall with filler pulling it fairly tight as you go. the idea is NOT to leave a skim coat of filler over the wall, but rather just fill the imperfections and cover any raised edges of previous coatings.

once dry put a mask on and get sanding. you can always touch up with more filler if needed.

the 1st coat of paint should be a watered down contract emulsion(read the tin for exact dilution rate)

The alternative is to get a plasterer to quote for skimming.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back