Living room on seperate ring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is it worth putting my living room sockets on a seperate ring (complete rewire).

With larger loads these days i.e tv dvd vcr surround sound p.c hifi etc in living room as well as downstairs bedrooms.

Its only an extra hours work ... is it worth doing?

Sponsored Links
If you can re-wire a living room in an hour, you can come and work for me anyday.

It's up to you if you want to do it. If you want to put it on its own circuit, a 20A radial would more than suffice. And be quicker and save cable. All your AV equipment together doesn't draw very much - you might surprised how little.

Is it worth putting my living room sockets on a seperate ring (complete rewire).
Not worth it from an electrical safety or loading point of view.

The only reason I would consider doing this is if the A/V setup was suffering noise from larger electrical items on the ring.

Frank

All the advice given is good, I however did put the living room, dining room and kitchen on seperate rings (oh and the office) mainly because I just wanted to but also it used up a few of the ways in the new CU :LOL:

The draw of your AV stuff is very small, by the way 1 hour, have you got no plaster, furniture, floor boards or a wife!!!!!

Sponsored Links
We are tending to do this nowadays when we do a rewire. I rewire council houses for a living.

Under the new regs, we are asked (by the council) to put a ring upstairs, a ring downstairs and a separate ring for the kitchen. Lots of the properties have only a lounge diner and a kitchen on the ground floor, so we end up with a ring with 4 sockets on. Overkill IMHO, but that's what they want!

I do a lot of similar work myself. Putting a new ring final for 2 sockets and an FCU for the fridge socket is a real overkill!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back