Local access only

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
Im currently having a problem where i cant use my wireless internet . I can connect to my wireless connection but it says local connection only, if i bypass my wireles router and plug my laptop in to the modem I can access the internet which is how i can post this.
Have had a look on google for answers but there a bit too technical for me. :confused:
I woke up this morning to find that there was no power to the router and couldnt turn it on by plugging it into different sockets so i thought it was knackered.However when i came home it seemed to be working ok apart from the local access problem
Sorry for the long post and my lack of knowledge in this area
Cheers Graeme

Sponsored Links
Need make and model of router please.

Can you connect to your router via an Ethernet cable ? if so can you then connect to the internet.

Hi router is a D link airplus xtreme g model DI-624
Iv only got 1 ethernet cable which was linking the modem to the router, but iv taken it out of the router when this problem occured and plugged it into my laptop
cheers graeme

Have you inadvertently turned your wireless off on the laptop?

Sponsored Links
Get another Ethernet cable and try with a wired connection to the router....we need to prove whether this is a wireless problem to the router or a problem with the router itself.

Also have you tried turning the power off and on on the router ?

iv tried turning the power to router and modem off and waiting and trying again but it doesnt work
ill have to pick up another ethernet cable tommorrow and try that
cheers

Hi again
Have found myself another ethernet cable and when i plug everything in and try to connect to the internet through my router im unable to.
i can click on diagnose internet connection and this brings up a new window after a minute which says
Windows cannot find the host name www.google.com using DNS
the domain server may be down
however i can bypass the router and connect to the internet and google straight away.
cheers
graeme

ok, so you still have the same problem then?!?!

If you are unable to access, for eg., google via wifi or ethernet on the dlink then it sounds as though you have not configured the dlink correctly.

In this case the local access only would be a reference to the fact that your pc can see that it is part of a network but that that network, the dlink part, does not have access to the internet, a bigger network.

When on wifi and you type in

you go to the dlink config pages?

This should be the case.

From there you need to reconfigure the dlink to get a wan side ip address from your ADSL modem

If you need help with this then just ask.

good luck

hi
iv typed in 192.168.0.1 and gone to dlink config pages

iv got to the stage of selecting the type of ip address should i choose dynamic ?

Sponsored Links
Back