Location of eye-level oven switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
See photo.

We're installing this eye-level oven in a tower unit. Unfortunately the switch has been installed behind the tower, above the oven - the original thinking was to have the switch in the cupboard above the oven, but I understand that's not a good idea, so we need to move it.

I was thinking of having it above the double-socket to the right of the cupboard. However, does it have to be a minimum of 300m away from the side of the cupboard?

Does that 300mm rule also apply to the double-socket?

Attachments

• 20210103_140328.jpg
    20210103_140328.jpg
    173.5 KB · Views: 270
Sponsored Links
We're installing this eye-level oven in a tower unit. Unfortunately the switch has been installed behind the tower, above the oven - the original thinking was to have the switch in the cupboard above the oven, but I understand that's not a good idea, so we need to move it.
You can put the switch anywhere you want.

does it have to be a minimum of 300m away from the side of the cupboard?
No.

Does that 300mm rule also apply to the double-socket?
It's not a rule; it is guidance.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the answers folks - I will put it above the existing socket, in line with it.

There are rules for where switches and sockets can be put so accessible by wheel chair users, but those who made the rules it seems have not used a wheel chair, as it does not help. Any socket or switch on a wall with a counter top between the user and socket likely is not accessible by a wheel chair user anyway, so why worry.

As to why in the home 450 mm and anywhere else 400 mm high again does not make sense, and a thermostat at 1200 mm is far too high for a wheel chair user to read the display. So fit them where it suits you. Different for an electrician who has no idea who will use the house, he needs to follow guide lines.

We are talking about Part M building regulations, the 300 mm from corner is to allow a wheel chair user to access them, it is not really about corner of a cabinet. When you look at the rules
Consumer units should be mounted so that the switches are between 1350mm and 1450mm above floor level.
mother house the ceiling was not that high to start with, mounted under the stairs.

So just do what suits you.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back