Sockets behind ovens

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My new kitchen requires 2 sockets for a (built in) gas oven and hob ignitions. My understanding is that isolation and ocpd is deemed to be provided by the plugtops and no further isolation is necessary, but for convenience I was planning to install a double socket behind the proposed oven position and switch it via to a switched FCU above the worktop to the left of the hob.

2 questions:

a) Any issues with the above proposal, and
b) Is it satisfactory to have plugtops and sockets directly behind a cooking appliance ? I have assumed that the manufacturers flex and plugtops are either rated appropriately or that there is not an issue with heat at the back of the oven. I would rather not put the socket in the cupboards.

Sponsored Links
Put them in a cupboard beside the oven, you should make sure that you can isolate without having to move the appliance first

...... I was planning to install a double socket behind the proposed oven position and switch it via to a switched FCU above the worktop to the left of the hob.....

But I don't really want the sockets in the cupboard.

Sponsored Links
Put them in a cupboard beside the oven, you should make sure that you can isolate without having to move the appliance first
He's already said he's going to put a FCU above the worktop. This is fine.

OCP is provided by the plug top fuse. If the fuses blow, the appliance will probably need pulling out anyway.

Missed the bit about the FCU above the worktop.

But as these are gas appliances I would not want to be pulling them out if a fuse blew!!

But I don't really want the sockets in the cupboard.

Why?

Because I seem to remember a building regulation about sockets not being fixed to furniture , and prefer cupboards being left as cupboards, not places to hide sockets. Don't think that removing the oven is a big deal, just four screws behind the door and it will slide out of the housing.

Just felt uneasy over the heat issue, if indeed it exists..?

some like to use a 15A round pin plug and socket so that the only fuse is the acessible one above the worktop.

Good idea, but then would I be just as well to use crimped connections, or junction boxes ?

well a plug and socket means you can remove the appliance for servicing etc more easilly.

well a plug and socket means you can remove the appliance for servicing etc more easilly.

Good point and no issues with heat from oven on plug/socket/flex, I spose if the outside got that hot the cabinets would burn !

I spose if the outside got that hot the cabinets would burn !
Very true. Our built in gas oven has a circulating fan that runs on for 10 mins after the oven is turned off, to keep its case cool. I assume the outer of the oven is kept cold or slightly warm

We mount sockets on the wall at the back of an adjacent cupboard, access to plug through hole in back of cupboard and flex to appliance run through slot/hole. Holes cut with hole saw big enough to pass plug. This method has the advantage of allowing cupboards to be moved in & out without affecting circuits. We also fit FCU's above w/tops for ease of use, matching stainless sockets, etc. all level with each other to look great.

We mount sockets on the wall at the back of an adjacent cupboard, access to plug through hole in back of cupboard and flex to appliance run through slot/hole. Holes cut with hole saw big enough to pass plug. This method has the advantage of allowing cupboards to be moved in & out without affecting circuits. We also fit FCU's above w/tops for ease of use, matching stainless sockets, etc. all level with each other to look great.

Doing this, the socket is then not really accessible.

I prefer to mount the sockets in the cupboards - the cupboards are fixed to the wall, and therefore become part of the building fabric. There is no regulation to prevent you doing this - It is a myth that there is.

Probably far too late, and the OP has already done the deed...but hey.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back