Lock Picking

When they clamp your vehicle now, they take a photo to provide evidence that they had clamped it.

Don't forget private clampers/bailiffs can also take you to a civil court if you take away or damage their clamp.

I carry a set of simple lock picks because about once a year I go to fix a boiler in rented accommodation and either the tenant has changed the lock or the landlord forgets his own keys or otherwise gets locked out.

I only do that on cylinder locks and RPT locks.

But a quicker way into a cylinder is often to use bump keys.

But they are not really within the spirit of locksport!

Sponsored Links
Don't forget private clampers/bailiffs can also take you to a civil court if you take away or damage their clamp.
How well does that work if their clamping had been unlawful?

Most clampers are not unlawful.

Bailiffs have a lot of powers to seize/take ownership goods etc.

I found this fellow clamping my car outside my house. It turned to be in respect of an unpaid parking charge from two years before and 100 miles.

He had an ANPR in his van and almost one in every ten cars passing had some notice affecting it.

He was just cruising around and looking for cars to clamp in relation to a debt etc.

I wonder how quickly "the system" gets updated with changes of ownership, and all the changes cascaded out to councils, bailiffs etc.

Be a bit of a bummer to have your car clamped because the previous owner had an unpaid parking ticket....

Sponsored Links
I doubt they ever get updated because the debt seems to be attached to the car!

Presumably it can be argued away but not much when hoping to drive to the theatre with £40 tickets each and find your car clamped !

Back