Locked escape window - key behind 'break glass'

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is it permissable to lock an escape window and put the key behind a 'break glass' for key to escape?

Sponsored Links
Not in a commercial setting.

Do whatever you like at home, but hope that no-one suffers injury while trying to find a key half awake in a dark choking room full of smoke.

Threw all the keys away to our lockable (now unlocked) windows. Stupidest idea in the world galaxy. Crappy little pointless things.

Sponsored Links
I checked with building regs people (who were extremely helpful and fast) and they confirmed that a key in a 'break glass' box is acceptable for Egress requirements.
In case you wonder why, planning have specified that a window must be non-opening to avoid privacy issues with neighbours and I'm hoping that this will be an acceptable solution for both planning and building regs.

What about a fixed window with safety glass and a glass break hammer?
I did think about that but discarded it as the window will be double glazed and there is a reasonable possibility that there would be firemen below it.

A fixed shut window for planning purposes can't open as an egress window as I see it and surely it can't be acceptable to escape through a window where you have smashed the glass with a hammer !

You mean like they have on trains.......
So you think it's a good idea to have to escape through a first floor window and possibly hang from the window cill
where you have just smashed the glass with a hammer
before dropping to the ground :!:

Given the choice of that or burning to death, yep. I did say safety glass so I'm talking about the toughened stuff you get in train/bus/coach and car side windows - the ones on trains/busses/coaches that have a safety hammer next to them.

What is the definition of 'non-opening' in planning law? How permanent a solution is required to meet planning requirements?

Closed? Locked? Screwed closed. A pane/frame that doesn't open but is removable?

I’d get it signed off with whatever they want and swap it for a proper window the next day.

burning to death
You are far more likely to be dead by the time the flames get to you.

And this is the problem with most people in that they do not realise how quickly it builds up and how incredibly toxic the smoke is in a house fire. The first lungful will knock you on your back and the second will likely render you unconscious. Death quickly follows.

I’d get it signed off with whatever they want and swap it for a proper window the next day.
How would they do it ? They couldn't get it approved for both planning and bldg. regs at the same time. Suppose they could get planning with window fixed shut ,then change it to opening window for egress purposes and bldg. regs approval and hope nobody complained when window was opened.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back