Locks on cars

He's contacted the I car insurance. Home insurance would only say claim off car insurance, wouldn't they?
No. We had our car broken into on our drive years ago. Nicked some sunglasses and prescription glasses. We claimed on house insurance. Check to see if he has 'key cover' on the house insurance. Can claim on car insurance but might lose NCB if he has any.
The keys were stolen from the house so could very well be covered on house insurance.

Sponsored Links
No. We had our car broken into on our drive years ago. Nicked some sunglasses and prescription glasses. We claimed on house insurance. Check to see if he has 'key cover' on the house insurance. Can claim on car insurance but might lose NCB if he has any.
The keys were stolen from the house so could very well be covered on house insurance.

I think Once he has notifie his car insurance it counts as a claim and he would still loose his NCB.

hes not claimed for years so on that side I think he will be ok

I think Once he has notifie his car insurance it counts as a claim and he would still loose his NCB.

hes not claimed for years so on that side I think he will be ok
No. Will only count as a claim if he makes a claim. Having the car pinched and getting it back just goes down as a no fault event or something like that. Even if there is no damage and he has got the car back, he still has to notify the insurance company. Failure to do so could end up with his insurance being voided when he really needs it.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Would you change all the car locks if it was you? Not trying to be funny, serious question. I don't think I would.
So the police recovered the keys with the car?

Or is some oik out there still running round with a key and next time they fancy a joy ride they know where to go?

I take it the b@stards nicked all sorts of keys, not just the car keys?

And the car was returned but minus the keys?

Then you would need to change all the locks that have keys missing. It seems extreme, but I suppose you could sell the car sans clés.

But you'd want to change all the house locks, too, I guess?

Yep, they're scum, and the damage they can inflict (mental not just physical) on victims is rarely reflected in the sentencing when (or if) they're caught. Taking this real life example, your 85 year old dad might never fully get over this event. Meanwhile those guilty get the proverbial slap on the wrist and are then free to commit the same crime again ... and again ... and again.

Hope you get it sorted and hope your dad is okay.

Having the car pinched and getting it back just goes down as a no fault event or something like that
If an insurer incurs costs in relation to a covered risk, and there is no one that they can successfully recover their monies paid from, then it's "at fault". It's perhaps important to note that "fault" is insurance jargon related to the recoverability of costs and not necessarily indicative of who was to blame for the car having been stolen.

The event is recorded on the MIAFTR and must be disclosed for a period of time in response to the question "have you had any accidents, made any claims or suffered any losses in the last X years". As you have successfully proven yourself capable of suffering a loss (eg living in an area where oiks nick your car) you can expect your base premium to be loaded as a result, which will affect the amount you pay regardless of any applicable NCB.

Also "there is no damage" is usually something the insurer assesses, given that they still have to cover the risk of the vehicle having been affected in a way that increases the likelihood they will be liable for a future event

So the police recovered the keys with the car?

Or is some oik out there still running round with a key and next time they fancy a joy ride they know where to go?
The police found the Car about a mile away undamaged. Removed it for forensics. Two day later my dad's garage was broken into. I assume to steal the car again.

I take it the b@stards nicked all sorts of keys, not just the car keys?

And the car was returned but minus the keys?

Then you would need to change all the locks that have keys missing. It seems extreme, but I suppose you could sell the car sans clés.

But you'd want to change all the house locks, too, I guess?
He's had all the locks replaced and a new monitored alarm system installed.

My car & house key was either in my dads house or in the car so I had to get my mate round to replace my from door lock. I have 3 females inside.

They I assume still have my car key so I could come out one morning to find my car has gone. Most probably don't know where I live

If he doesn't have one a Ring or Nest Door bell is handy, though the subscription free Nest is pretty basic.

He's had all the locks replaced and a new monitored alarm system installed.

My car & house key was either in my dads house or in the car so I had to get my mate round to replace my from door lock. I have 3 females inside.

They I assume still have my car key so I could come out one morning to find my car has gone. Most probably don't know where I live
If your car key is fob type they could carry it around with them and simply press it when they come across your make of car. i.e. You have a Vauxhall, they only press when near a Vauxhall.
This is how cars get stolen from places like supermarkets. They lift the keys/purse etc then one person will watch the victim while his mate goes round the car park till the car is found. Off they go.

If your car key is fob type they could carry it around with them and simply press it when they come across your make of car. i.e. You have a Vauxhall, they only press when near a Vauxhall.
This is how cars get stolen from places like supermarkets. They lift the keys/purse etc then one person will watch the victim while his mate goes round the car park till the car is found. Off they go.
Still slim finding my car unless they do know where I live

Car lock Smith. There are mobile ones that will come to you

Sponsored Links
Back