Loft boarding - Truss, Brace, Kings & Queens

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I live in a newish build circa 2013 and have a small loft space that I would like to partially board out for very light storage.
The loft is roughly 3.7m wide by 5m long, with an area roughly 3.6m x 3.6m which could be boarded when the loft access is taken into account.

I'm currently looking at a LoftZone kit (7m2) to raise the boards above the 270/300mm of insulation that's already in place.

So my problem is the roof is a truss design with large vertical posts right down the centre of the loft space with support struts, which makes boarding rather difficult.
Not sure if this is called a King post design as different sources show different names
(its 1.87m from the centre of the posts to the loft edge)

What would be the best way to board it out, start from the centre King post and go 1.2m (maybe 1.8m) out to make the most of the head room.
Ideally i would like to avoid cutting every single loft board to make them fit around the King post as it doesnt have to look beautiful just for storage.

Secondly the diagonal strut braces, could they be repositioned horizontally (red line) to give easier access for storage?
Or would this substantially weaken the roof.

A couple of images below, sorry about the poor quality.. my phone doesnt seem to like the low light levels :(

thanks all
1698939400740a.jpg
1698939400757.jpg

Sponsored Links
Hi all,

I live in a newish build circa 2013 and have a small loft space that I would like to partially board out for very light storage.
The loft is roughly 3.7m wide by 5m long, with an area roughly 3.6m x 3.6m which could be boarded when the loft access is taken into account.

I'm currently looking at a LoftZone kit (7m2) to raise the boards above the 270/300mm of insulation that's already in place.

So my problem is the roof is a truss design with large vertical posts right down the centre of the loft space with support struts, which makes boarding rather difficult.
Not sure if this is called a King post design as different sources show different names
(its 1.87m from the centre of the posts to the loft edge)

What would be the best way to board it out, start from the centre King post and go 1.2m (maybe 1.8m) out to make the most of the head room.
Ideally i would like to avoid cutting every single loft board to make them fit around the King post as it doesnt have to look beautiful just for storage.

Secondly the diagonal strut braces, could they be repositioned horizontally (red line) to give easier access for storage?
Or would this substantially weaken the roof.

A couple of images below, sorry about the poor quality.. my phone doesnt seem to like the low light levels :(

thanks all
View attachment 319460View attachment 319456
There is very little that you can remove from a truss roof, as they are a bare bones structure (slender sections) in the first place. You certainly can't re-position the diagonal bracing, no.

You just have to cut or notch the boards around the truss struts as best you can. May need timber supports fixed to the sides or undersides of the struts to support the cut edges.

Sponsored Links
All trusses need bracing. Diagonal bracing for shorter widths, chevron (ie double/treble etc diagonal) for wider widths.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back