Loft boarding

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

just after some advice just in case i'm planning to make a balls up.

Intending to board the loft.

As it stands there's nothing up there, usual insulation between joists, that's it

I don't want to remove the old insulation, just don't want the hassle.

My intention is to put joists above the existing ones, at 90 degrees i.e. cross them over.
then install new insulation between these new beams. Once that's done, board over the top.

Am I missing anything?

Sponsored Links
What width, depth and unsupported span are the old?

Do you want it for light storage, or a habitable room?

Sponsored Links
You'd be better focusing on getting the insulation right, ideally 100mm between the joists and a continuous (not in between more wood) 200mm laid on top at 90°.

This is generally achieved using stilts.

Alternatively, 100mm celotex laid directly onto the existing joists with some thin plywood or OSB on top to form a floor is worth considering - obviously only in the area you plan to use.

I prefer counterbattens to stilts. They spread the load better and add rigidity when the deck is tightly screwed down.

I used to favour rigid foam, but mineral wool does not burn, nor does it emit toxic smoke.

I noticed that the foam makers removed their adverts for loft flooring shortly after Grenfell.

I prefer counterbattens to stilts. They spread the load better and add rigidity when the deck is tightly screwed down.

I used to favour rigid foam, but mineral wool does not burn, nor does it emit toxic smoke.

I noticed that the foam makers removed their adverts for loft flooring shortly after Grenfell.

Yeah same here, I don't want to rely on plastic things really.

our last house was boarding and the guys who did it built counterbattens and replaced all the insulation - i'm not going as far this time and they're too busy to do it so just gunna do me best.

I did this job last weekend.

I used 89mm CLS and laid them upright, perpendicular to the joists on the floor, screwed them down on a skew.
I laid these every 400mm then used tongue and groove OSB boards on top.

Don't use the plastic loft stilts, they'll warp and buckle over the years, same as chip board.

Yeah I made a decent start, I replaced any insulation I took up with 100mm celotex, just so I didn’t crush the thicker stuff that was there.

mused 145mm joists and covered with 22mm flooring pretty pleased with my start

Attachments

• 970F0725-ADCA-4D49-8E92-488C4AC1549B.jpeg
    970F0725-ADCA-4D49-8E92-488C4AC1549B.jpeg
    200.3 KB · Views: 128

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back