Loft catch stuck

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I haven't opened the loft in a while and now the catch isn't releasing. It is operated by using a hook on a pole to pull down on an 'eye' on a screw. I remember that by screwing this 'eye' either clockwise or anticlockwise the catch can be loosened but I can't remember which way! I have tried tightening and loosing this screw, but to no avail.

As a lady of 'a certain age' I'm nervous of unscrewing it too much, in case it falls out. Any advice would be gratefully received. Thank you.

Sponsored Links
A pic might help .....
I don't seem to be able to upload a pic from my phone.. has the wrong file extension.

By 'eye' , I'm thinking hook and 'eye'. A ring on the end of the screw that screws through the hatch door to the catch. Pull on this ring and it should pull the catch back.

I'm guessing that the catch had stuck through lack of use but I can't remember whether the screw should tighten up to the hatch or loosen. I remember that if it wasn't tightened/loosened to the correct position the hatch would not stay shut.

Sponsored Links
Can you press upwards on the loft hatch with a broom, at the same time as twisting the catch?
It might take some pressure off of a sticky latch mechanism, allowing it to release.

Can you press upwards on the loft hatch with a broom, at the same time as twisting the catch?
It might take some pressure off of a sticky latch mechanism, allowing it to release.
Thanks. I've had a go but I may need a second pair of hands with more muscles. I was trying to find someone who knew which direction to turn the screw to release it. I may have tightened it the wrong way now IYSWIM and no amount of 'persuasion will release it.

Use a ladder , up close you will see which way the catch moves.
Thanks, but the hatch is completely flush with the recess... nothing to see. Sorry to be so negative with everyone, but I'm stumped. I'll keep having a go to see if the catch loosens with persistence.

Thanks. I'd had a Google and YouTube search but hadn't come up with it.

It's this one...

Thanks.. I'll keep trying.
So you pull it toward you at an angle to open it by pivoting the screw in the latch lever. Is it moving when you pull on it.
If not as Random Grinch says you probably need to push the door up at the same time as pulling on the latch

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back