Loft conversion and windows - Permitted Development?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are having our very decrepit 120 year old roof replaced and are taking the opportunity to add a room up there. Building Control are involved, work is underway and all is good with them. It's a semi with a hipped roof and I want to put 3 Velux windows in (one per side). I'm aware of limitations wrt height above floor, opaque glass etc for side facing windows.
Under PD I believe that as long as they do not extend more than 150mm out from existing roof surface then I can (Permitted development rights for householders page 38)
Building inspector is happy with this as long as they are installed iaw building regs, but has asked if I have PD rights.
The house is not listed and is not in a conservation area or anything like that. What reason might remove PD from my house and how can I find out without paying the council £133 to assess a planning application?

TIA
Mike

Sponsored Links
Is there an article 4 direction in effect in your area (unlikely) that restricts some PD rights? Normally they're published on the local authority's website somewhere. Checked your deeds?

Nothing on council website about Article 4 in this area and no conservation area here. I don't have the deeds but Land Registry entries have no mention of it or any restrictive covenants.
TBH in the great scheme when a single floor joist costs £50, it is not the cost of an application that is the issue but I don't have time to waste preparing scale drawings of my house with rectangles drawn on the roof! Being cynical, PD gives rights to residents that take away a revenue stream from the council. What better way to make this up than sow seeds of doubt that push you towards making a formal application?

In addition to checking for area Article 4 directives, check your property planning history and any past planning permissions for conditions.

PD rights won't be on property deeds.

Opaque glass requirement does not apply to roof lights. Nor any planning height dimensions - cill height is a building regulation criteria.

However it's nothing to do with any building inspector if PD rights exist or not. He has no remit to even ask or require an answer. He may well just be mentioning it to make you aware, not for you to prove to him.

Sponsored Links
>Being cynical, PD gives rights to residents that take away a revenue stream from the council

Being less cynical, it stops the council being inundated with thousands of inane applications to install decking or change windows, which would clog up the system for proper applications that need considering. It's all very well ten thousand people coming to your cafe to buy a cake and coffee, but you'll pretty quickly run out of cake, coffee and staff to serve them

Ask the council whether your house benefits from PD, or a reason if it does not. If it does not, then there should be no fee for planning applications that request work that would be granted under PD

Just chipping in as I have 5 velux windows.
Not what your asking though..

3 are 1200mm x 1200mm.

They are like radiators in the summer and the noise when rain hits them!
Fitted exterior blind to stop the sun and rain noise. It's like gravel hitting glass.
If I had my time again I'd go for way smaller windows or something different.

>Being cynical, PD gives rights to residents that take away a revenue stream from the council

Being less cynical, it stops the council being inundated with thousands of inane applications to install decking or change windows, which would clog up the system for proper applications that need considering. It's all very well ten thousand people coming to your cafe to buy a cake and coffee, but you'll pretty quickly run out of cake, coffee and staff to serve them

Ask the council whether your house benefits from PD, or a reason if it does not. If it does not, then there should be no fee for planning applications that request work that would be granted under PD
Your logic around what PD is for is correct but you miss the point; I have asked. According to the help line, the only way to definitively determine if I have PD is to pay them and supply drawings of what I want to do! Hence my cynicism.

Something like "I would like to install velux windows, how can I find out if I have PD rights"
The answer was that I have to submit a pre application form and pay £133 for them to say if I need to submit a full application

I would try again frankly, it does sometimes depend who you get on the phone, some are useless some not so.

Last edited:
I will try again tomorrow but the website indicates this is the only way to get any answers from planning

You don't need planning permission to install Skylights unless its a listed building.
The only time it gets difficult is when people get the council involved .
Wayners. There are lots of options to make them quieter ie. noise reduction triple glazing & a experienced fitter.

how can I find out if I have PD rights"
Generally, all houses have PD rights unless taken away. If taken away, that will be recorded as mentioned up the thread .... an Article 4, or on the planning history. It's not a secret, no phones nor fees required.

Haven't had chance to call the council, but expect I'd get the same 'pay for an answer' response.
I did speak again to the building inspector and his view was along the lines of 'I've made you aware of the potential issue but it's nothing to do with me'.
I'm just assuming I have PD and will crack on

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back