Loft Conversion Project

Sponsored Links
Well we finally managed to get building control round on Friday for a final sign off but it didn't pass, he found the following faults,

1 - Draft exclusion on the storage hatches
2 - Hand Rail on the stairs
3 - Venting of the roof behind the insulation (25mm vents required??)
4 - Full documentation for Part P and Gas, engineers certificates not good enough.

Interestingly he noticed the fire door and didn't have a problem with the cut as it still provided a good seal in the door frame.

Had the shutters turn up and have been busy with the paint brush and managed to get the floor down... All a small drop in the ocean!!

DSC01409.jpg

DSC01413.jpg

DSC01410.jpg

DSC01418.jpg

Result, not scoring points but shame you couldn't get some architrave round the cut section of the door, maybe would've looked bit better. Often a pay off between aesthetics and practicalities in some loftys.

Where you've done the 4 windows, why didn't you do the plasterboard for the lower two windows as per the higher two? Looks really uncomfortable with that Rad right beneath the windows?

Good job otherwise, thanks for the photies along the way. ;)

Result, not scoring points but shame you couldn't get some architrave round the cut section of the door, maybe would've looked bit better. Often a pay off between aesthetics and practicalities in some loftys.

Yeah this loft has been a bit tricky on space as I really didn't want a dorma! Any movement of the door to the right to allow for architrave would really effect the bathroom, I guess as you say its a bit of a trade off.

Where you've done the 4 windows, why didn't you do the plasterboard for the lower two windows as per the higher two? Looks really uncomfortable with that Rad right beneath the windows?

The windows are all done the same throughout the loft, the bottom is vertical inline with the walls and the top is horizontal inline with the celling to make sure we gain maximum head height/useable space around them. It was the only place left where the radiator would fit.

Sponsored Links
I love this conversion, just goes to show what a nice useable room you can make out of a relatively compact space.

Your house looks very very similar to ours in places (ours is ex housing assocation mind) I wonder if the same construction company was involved.

Would love to see even more photos including from the 1st floor landing, towards the new stairs and climbing into the new loft room if you can.

Would it be cheeky to ask what you've spent so far? :LOL: ;)

Looks good just hope mine looks as good when finished. Still waiting for warrant approval 2 months now since posting the application to BC.

One thing you say BC told you why it didnt pass as you needed 25mm gap behind insulation? You do have a ventilation gap between your insulation and breather membrane dont you (assuming England where they dont bother with sarking)
If not and I would be amazed any builder would miss such a detail. Check your drawings and find out who missed this (whos going to pay!)because it could mean it comes back down.

I love this conversion, just goes to show what a nice useable room you can make out of a relatively compact space.

Your house looks very very similar to ours in places (ours is ex housing assocation mind) I wonder if the same construction company was involved.

Would love to see even more photos including from the 1st floor landing, towards the new stairs and climbing into the new loft room if you can.

Would it be cheeky to ask what you've spent so far? :LOL: ;)

Hi,

I believe the house was built by a local builder in Chalgrove in 1993. I will put more photos up later in the week on the rest of the stairs and loft room when I have had a chance to cover up the mess...

The builder charged £18k for his part and we have spent around another 7k on the finishing parts, this included the new supply of a boiler. About 25k in total. Much cheaper than moving in the village especially if you end up paying 20K stamp duty...

Looks good just hope mine looks as good when finished. Still waiting for warrant approval 2 months now since posting the application to BC.

One thing you say BC told you why it didnt pass as you needed 25mm gap behind insulation? You do have a ventilation gap between your insulation and breather membrane dont you (assuming England where they dont bother with sarking)
If not and I would be amazed any builder would miss such a detail. Check your drawings and find out who missed this (whos going to pay!)because it could mean it comes back down.

Yeah BC take ages, don't think much happens before 8 weeks... My application went in over Christmas and New Year so took even longer! The builder wanted the work really badly here so was constantly chasing BC and the architect for me.

When do you hope to start your loft?

We have a plastic membrane under the tiles which probably doesn't breathe, there is also a 50mm gap between this and the insulation. BC were not happy with the vents into this void, ie the soffits/tiles vents. He was mentioning 25mm vents but completely lost me when explained. We have now opted for millions of round soffits vents which were passed the other day.

I'm just pending the formal paper work from the electrician then BC are happy to sign the loft off!

Phew! You had me thinking you had no vent in the back of the insulation. :D

I will start as soon as they give me the all clear. In the meantime I lifted the existing floor and built a shed out of it and put the loft contents into it. I reckon doing the roof ventilation should be alright at the moment and fitted 3 high level mushroom vents to the front yesterday. I have another for the side and three for the back still to be fitted before work on Wednesday. I got them free from a virtually new roof we were dismantling for a new build.
I ordered 40 of those circular vents you talk of but still waiting as they claim they were lost in the post, ebay!

Ventilation wise we need to provide at the eaves (outside soffit) the equivalent of a 25mm continous gap. Now this ****es me off. While doing a walk round with BC at work (Diff district) I asked him to show me one loft conversion in our area from our scaffold that looks like they have this. Everywhere I look roofs dont appear to have this. If you try to achieve it with those circular vents you need a rediculous amount. I will put them in at 450mm centres with the mushroom vents and hope this should be ok. If not I will need to rethink.

They look simple enough to install.

Wow, that looks fantastic! It's quite a transformation.

All the hard work was well worth it. Well done!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back