Loft Conversion Project

I have been watching your project. Its really interesting as I am waiting for Building warrant approval to start our own loft conversion into a bedroom.
As it is our engineer and architect has us just strengthning the joists, moving collars and oxters, so no steel. We do have an rsj to go in the living room to carry the ceiling joists for the stair opening though.
I plan to carry out all works apart from the elec obviously for the certificate although I will install grounds, boxes, etc for him to hook up.
My chimney will come down although I have already removed the external down to the living room ceiling. I reckoned her in doors might get upset if I started coming through the ceiling at present so stopped there. I have also removed the tongue & groove attic flooring and built myself a new shed for the attic stuff :D

Cheers for putting this on its looking great and those stairs look the business.
One question the velux windows. When you join one on top of the other do you need a flashing for joining or do the top and bottoms overlap? We have a combination like yours but I have never joined two together before.

Sponsored Links
Hi,

If you plan to join two windows above each other you will need a specific flashing kit as you can't overlap two normal flashings. You would maybe need something like this depending on your window choice and your tile types,

http://www.jjroofingsupplies.co.uk/...To-120mm/M04-Duo-Flashing-Tile/prod_5414.html

All my Velux stuff came from JJ, really great service! I also found Velux direct really helpful if you were planing on stacking two different sized windows like an M08 on top of a M06.

Thanks

Russ

Stud walls starting to go in, glass door installed and wood board ready to mount the TV to

DSC01252.jpg

Insulation going in,

DSC01258.jpg

Second layer of insulation,

DSC01260.jpg

Battens going over,

DSC01263.jpg

Plasterboards starting to go up,

DSC01262.jpg

Shower first fix,

DSC01264.jpg

Overall view of the room,

DSC01267.jpg

Sponsored Links
Love it.

When I had my loft converted I had a dormer (Flat roof) but now wish I had done it like yours.

The 2 windows together look superb.

Please keep the pics coming. :D

Great to see so many pictures. Looking forward to see complete build.

Can I ask how much the insulation is costing you?

Hi,

BC are coming on Wed this week for the final sign off, will let you know how it goes.

What do you think the problem could be?

You need a fire door between the loft and the escape route, you cannot chop a fire door down in that manner without compromising its Fire Resistance. Will be interesting to see what they say, assuming they spot it.

the biggest problem with butchering a door like that is 2 fold
there will be a gap between the panel and frame /doorstop
also the door is likely to bend and twist as it is now an incomplete frame

do you actually intend to leave such a door in place that can fail when you most need it with smoke and flames lapping up the stairs???

if i was a building inspector and saw that i would be looking into everything with a fine tooth comb :eek: :eek:

BC has been put back till Mon/Tues now, I will let you know then what they say. I guess the only way around this would be to use a solid fire doors with no panels that could be cut down?

Well firstly he may miss it altogether and whilst you may think you've got one over BC (they do miss things) you ought to consider the ramifications anyway. The door won't give the protection it ought to and bear in mind it might one day be needed to save your life. You can get fire door blanks that can be cut down. Very plain though unfortunately but that's the price to pay for a non standard sized loft door. You can also get treatments for existing door which may satisfy BC.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back