Loft conversion with rear dormer - Notices for Party structure & Line of Junction

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hopefully there is a simple answer to this question - thanks in advance.

I have received 4 template documents from my builder relating to the PWA to give to my neighbour:
1. Party Structure Notice
2. Acknowledgement of Party Structure Notice
3. Line of Junction Notice
4. Acknowledgement of Line of Junction Notice

To reduce the paperwork required, can these be amalgamated into a single document? Or more likely 1 Notice doc and 1 Acknowledgement doc? My neighbours are elderly- I would like to simplify this process as much as possible for them.

Context:
I need to give notice to my semi-detached neighbour for a hip-to-gable loft conversion with a dormer built up to the boundary line & steel beams inserted into the PW at half depth.

This is possibly a question my architectural tech (also a PW surveyor) should answer, but he has just gone on paternity leave and I would like to chat to my neighbour this weekend if at all possible...

Sponsored Links
It doesn't sound to me like you want to build on the line of junction. Are you also building a rear extension, say?

It doesn't sound to me like you want to build on the line of junction. Are you also building a rear extension, say?

Do you think line of junction notice is unnecessary?

The line of junction notice template drafted by the builder includes “the proposed works are as follows: the wall will be of timber frame construction , set back from eaves by 200mm and located wholly on my half of the boundary wall . The height of the wall will not exceed the existing highest point of the roof. Installation of flashings to cover the whole of shared party wall. External finishing materials to be sympathetic to the surroundings”.

Actually, I think your builder has it correct; the party structure notice relates to the insertion of beams on padstones, and the line of junction covers the hip to gable conversion.

Sponsored Links
Thanks, is there any requirement for the notices to be separate, or can I add the paragraph from both notices into one document?

Nevertheless, there are sample letters, and individually, they correctly set out the terms under the relevant part of the act. Serving incomplete or incorrect notices invalidates the process, so be careful.

Nevertheless, there are sample letters, and individually, they correctly set out the terms under the relevant part of the act. Serving incomplete or incorrect notices invalidates the process, so be careful.
Not really.

The OP can pop round say "I'm building a loft conversion, is that OK?" and if the neighbour says "Yes" that's it.

Alternatively, all that a notice needs to contain is the name and address of the building owner, date served, description of the work, date work will start.

Do you think line of junction notice is unnecessary?

The line of junction notice template drafted by the builder includes “the proposed works are as follows: the wall will be of timber frame construction , set back from eaves by 200mm and located wholly on my half of the boundary wall . The height of the wall will not exceed the existing highest point of the roof. Installation of flashings to cover the whole of shared party wall. External finishing materials to be sympathetic to the surroundings”.

That would suggest you are raising your side of the party wall? So not a line of junction notice just add the works to the party wall notice.

I've never understood the logic of raising just half the party wall. If the neighbour wants to build a dormer it makes life very difficult as you end up with a timber framed separating wall. If I was the neighbour I would dissent.

That would suggest you are raising your side of the party wall? So not a line of junction notice just add the works to the party wall notice.

I've never understood the logic of raising just half the party wall. If the neighbour wants to build a dormer it makes life very difficult as you end up with a timber framed separating wall. If I was the neighbour I would dissent.
Can you explain what you mean please?

I don;t have the drawings yet, but as explained to me by the arch tech, the dormer will be built on the boundary wall in this way specifically so that a later dormer on their side can be added by removing tiles on the side wall and joining it on - no gap.

What alternative would you suggest?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back