Loft extension - conservatory

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a bungalow with enough roof height for a loft conversion, which would have a truly great view. But why is it that I cannot find any information whatsoever about having a conversatory in my loft? Is it totally out of the question?

Sponsored Links
How do you mean 'conservatory in the loft'?

Glazed terrace?

Glazed balcony?

You will not find a description of a connie in a loft because they don't exist.

Glazed terrace?

Glazed balcony?

Well perhaps they should!

A view is always better from a height and dormer or velux windows are designed to let light in, not to look out. Neither enhance the building.
With a gable roof from ridge height, why not floor to ceiling glass? If there's space, make it a sliding door exiting onto a terrace.
For increased viewing, a couple of very long velux windows on the gables.

Glazed terrace?

Glazed balcony?

Well perhaps they should!

A view is always better from a height and dormer or velux windows are designed to let light in, not to look out. Neither enhance the building.
With a gable roof from ridge height, why not floor to ceiling glass? If there's space, make it a sliding door exiting onto a terrace.
For increased viewing, a couple of very long velux windows on the gables.

You are simply talking about a loft extension with plenty of glazing. In terms of building regulations, a conservatory can only exist as an extension on the side of a dwelling separated by an external door. Once you remove the door the conservatory becomes part of the house and full regs apply, same as if you were doing it in the loft which, given most normal peoples idea of a conservatory, would be hard to attach to a loft!!! Now what are your questions?

Sponsored Links
id say get hold of a very good architecht who would be able to design you some thing how much glass would you want

id say get hold of a very good architecht who would be able to design you some thing how much glass would you want

Yes. Get yourself a pukka Architect to design you a glazed area for your roof space. He'll charge you a shed load of wonga, and tell you it's an "Orangery".

shop about m8t my architecht usualy charges about 75 pound for loft drawings as they are all differnt

You are simply talking about a loft extension with plenty of glazing. In terms of building regulations, a conservatory can only exist as an extension on the side of a dwelling separated by an external door. Once you remove the door the conservatory becomes part of the house and full regs apply, same as if you were doing it in the loft which, given most normal peoples idea of a conservatory, would be hard to attach to a loft!!! Now what are your questions?

Full regs are likely to apply anyway as I live in an AONB and if I can capture the view, it'll be worth the cost.

Full regs are likely to apply anyway as I live in an AONB and if I can capture the view, it'll be worth the cost.

Now you're confusing planning with building regs. :confused:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back