Loft extension - conservatory

Planning and aesthetics aside, indeed it is although the insulation added to the roof during the build may need to be beefed up a little to compensate.

Sponsored Links
When you compare the difficulties of heating a conservatory v a loft extension, I would think the loft extension is easier by far.

When comparing the costs v investment value, is it fair to say that on either option, costs are likely to be recouped? But a view will add value?

Aesthetics are very important - this is an exercise in turning an ordinary bungalow into something special, not hideous.

Just for further clarification, you will end up with a highly glazed loft extension not a conservatory in your loft. You may use it as a conservatory but on paper it will be defined as a loft extension. Its not hard to get it to comply with the regs and heat, just needs consideration during the design. Added value and aesthetics are site specific.

As already stated, what you will end up with is something akin to a first floor orangery.

I can envisage a lot of difficult building processes along the way, but with consideration and a skilled contractor it could work, provided you can get it past planning.

What you will need is a good architect, plenty of patience and absolutely bags of cash.

In my opinion, it would make make more sense to create some kind of balcony with large patio style doors incorporating a solid roof as opposed to anything glazed.

Sponsored Links
IIRC they did something similar on Grand Designs, although it was an Architect who had a bought a scheduled ancient monument in a AONB. It looked pretty cool when it was finished, although it wasn't a bungalow, it was about 4 or 5 storeys up so the views were absolutely spectacular.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back