Loft Insulation Help/Advice Need

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I hope some someone or some people might be able to help with some loft insulation advice.
My parents house has a top floor loft conversion . I have noticed that the top floor rooms are really cold compared to the other rooms downstairs and seems cool down alot more faster than the other rooms.

The rooms upstairs have had double glazing installed, So i asked my dad if the loft was insulated. He is not too sure and thinks it was done when he had a new roof put on about 15 years ago but my dad 76 years old and not too sure and it might have been done by someone else.

So I took a look up in the loft and I don't believe it is insulated well but I am not an expert and could be wrong.

So I decided to take some pictures and hoping that maybe somone with alot of experience in loft insulation could give me some advice on what might needed to be done to improve it.

//www.diynot.com/network/Dave30/albums/7210

I have also included some pictures of my neighbours outside wall loft conversion which was done about 2 years ago.

The outside wall which looks like a tile/brick finish which is different from our one which is PVC or plastic , which might offer better insulation?.

I have also included this in the album pictures.

If you require and any other pictures or details please let me know:)

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Dave

Sponsored Links
Sorry to say this but it looks a flippin' mess! Looks like a bunch of cowboys held a party up there. Bits of the roof seem to have been treated with spray-on foam and some of the floor looks completely bereft of insulation while there seems to be a huge mountain of discarded glass wool somewhere else.

Where in the country are you? If it was Lancs I'd come over for a gliff, it looks interesting! My advice would be to get somebody in to give a professional opinion.

Sorry to say this but it looks a flippin' mess! Looks like a bunch of cowboys held a party up there. Bits of the roof seem to have been treated with spray-on foam and some of the floor looks completely bereft of insulation while there seems to be a huge mountain of discarded glass wool somewhere else.

Where in the country are you? If it was Lancs I'd come over for a gliff, it looks interesting! My advice would be to get somebody in to give a professional opinion.

thanks for reply RigidRaider.

I had a feeling that something was really wrong but I had to make sure. and My dad not a DIY sort of person so I don't think he thought any thing was wrong.

I will probably call someone in , unless I can do it myself . I have done a bit o building work and DIY work myself

I am based in London otherwise I would give you a call.

I was wondering if I might be able to get some advise from you.

I was planning on fixing the problem myself as cash to employ someone is a bit tight at the moment as we recently had some double glazing put in and with winter setting in I planning on tackling it quite soon.

I was hoping you might be able to ask someone advice on best way to insulate the loft as I have seen many different methods and also if i need to get the outside walls tiled like my neighbours,

Thank you

Dave

Nip down to Wickes and pick up four rolls of 170mm glass wool for a ridiculously cheap £29.97, take it home and get working up in that attic. If that's too much, buy the 100mm stuff and double it up, going cross ways with the second layer.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back