Loft Insulation / Lighting Question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys, this is my first post.
I have started clearing out my loft so that I can replace the insulation. Its pretty old and its due an upgrade. It is wool that is down just now and whoever installed it has left a space around the lights. I have been reading around and seen that this is a pretty inefficient as it allows heat to escape - which lead me to come across downlight covers/firehoods. These are pretty expensive however.

I live in a Bungalow which has 12 ceiling lights and 8 spotlights so you can imagine it would be costly. Some folk have recommended using clay flower pots, others say this is frowned upon. Are there alternatives or will I need to bite the bullet and fork out for the covers?

Sponsored Links
Change what lamps you can for LED's where the heat produced is minimal......I used the flower pot solution before I did mine, and heat loss through them was nil......in particular there was one pretty close to a joist and it didn't even get warm.
John :)

Change what lamps you can for LED's where the heat produced is minimal......I used the flower pot solution before I did mine, and heat loss through them was nil......in particular there was one pretty close to a joist and it didn't even get warm.

We have energy saving bulbs in all the lights, reflective bulbs in the spotlights and LEDs in the kitchen (ceiling light though). You think the clay pots would do? I also have large tin cans (6" dia about 8" high)

Sponsored Links
Clay pots will transfer heat much less than cans.....which could also conduct electricity if there was any problem so that wouldn't be my choice.
With mine, I checked the heat from within the loft when I was using 50w GU10 spots - the area around was quite hot after 1/2 an hour. After the pots, the heat was negligible so that was my route.
Now I have LEDs so the pots are nigh on redundant but I've left them anyway. Please don't ask me to quote any legal requirements as I don't know them!
If you are going heavy on the insulation though, allow heavy load cables such as shower or cooker supplies to lie on the top.

Cheers guys. I'm going for a 100mm base layer then a 200mm layer on top of that. Is that an issue?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back