Loft Insulation with Fixed Fire Rated LED Downlight

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

this has probably been asked/discussed already but here goes ...

I have an inaccessible roof space above my kitchen where I want to fit Fire Rated LED downlights in the ceiling probably similar to this

https://www.downlights.co.uk/click-...MI5Jvnraru6wIVnIBQBh1Nmws-EAAYASAAEgKRavD_BwE

I have checked and there is rockwool insulation in the roof space. There are no rooms above the kitchen.

I am not quite sure how hot the LED lights get and know that they need space around for heat to dissipate or thery can cut out. My question is can I install the downlights without "hoods" or is there a risk of fire with the insulation? I am loathed to cut into the ceiling in order to get access to the roof space but if so any suggestions how best to do this?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
It's not a case of how hot do they get, it's can they keep the LED sufficiently cool with no airflow around them. You need to check the manufacturer's instructions regarding insulation.

What type of roof is it? Is there any membrane or vapour barrier in place?

You could install them without hoods. Not sure why you think you might need them. Make sure the Downlights are suitable to be covered with insulation.

But I have a query. Assuming the ceiling/roof is traditional joists, and that the space between is filled with insulation, how do you plan to run cable from light to light and to the power source?

Sponsored Links
Thanks for all the replies folks, sorry I was away yesterday and never got a chance to respond. Aptsys I have no idea if there is any
membrane or vapour barrier in place as I haven't been able to access the roof space but see that you have already confirmed that the proposed lights are unsuitable to be covered. I was wondering then if hoods are an option although don't know how this would go without access to the roof ... any suggestions?

Taylortwocities I was planning to make cutouts at the joists to feed the cable either inside the roof space or down and up around the joists, cut a channel in the platerboard cutouts and screw into the joists. The ceiling will then be platstered.

Any further thoughts or suggestions guys?

Hi EFLImpudence, if it wasn't too much of a hassle then yes but it is beginning to sound like it may not be worth it ;)

Something like this sounds like a solution ... "Insulation Coverable Downlight". Does anyone have any experience of these? Thanks

https://www.downlightsdirect.co.uk/aurora-insulation-coverable-new.html#description
A reassuring product.

It seems loft insulation installers are specifically trained to lay insulation over all downlight fittings.

I wonder why they never consult the electrician/customer; or fit some guards over the lights, is it discussed at loft insulation college?

Hello everyone, just to let you know I went ahead with the
Aurora EFD-Pro Insulation Coverable Downlights GU10's. Easy to install and fit the bill for safety. I managed to inspect the roof space and the rockwool was more than sufficent. The cables I managed to run inside the roff space from spotlight hole to hole using fibreglass rods. All in all worked out well ... thanks again everyone for their help and advice

Hello,

this has probably been asked/discussed already but here goes ...

I have an inaccessible roof space above my kitchen where I want to fit Fire Rated LED downlights in the ceiling probably similar to this

https://www.downlights.co.uk/click-...MI5Jvnraru6wIVnIBQBh1Nmws-EAAYASAAEgKRavD_BwE

I have checked and there is rockwool insulation in the roof space. There are no rooms above the kitchen.

I am not quite sure how hot the LED lights get and know that they need space around for heat to dissipate or thery can cut out. My question is can I install the downlights without "hoods" or is there a risk of fire with the insulation? I am loathed to cut into the ceiling in order to get access to the roof space but if so any suggestions how best to do this?

Thanks
In your link it says you can add these: https://www.downlights.co.uk/click-inceptor-nano-insulation-cover-guard.html

• Not insulation coverable but the Click ISC1020 can be added to make it insulation coverable.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back