Loft ladder

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning all,

You were all so helpful when I came here for advice about laying my oak floor that I thought I’d come back and pester you all again.

This time I’m going to fit a loft ladder with the ultimate aim of boarding the loft for easy storage.

B&Q do a nice wooden ladder that comes in a kit that looks fairly easy to fit.

In my mind it’s not a difficult job. I cut a hole big enough for the casing and then just fit it in.

I only have one question other than the need for general advice and that’s about fitting it between joists. Presumably the ladder casing needs to be secured between two joists. If this is so then what if my joists are too far apart?

Any other comments, advice and things to look out for will be gratefully received.

Thanks all.

Therms

PS - I live in a 1930s mid-terraced house.

Sponsored Links
Hi therms,

You make the hole so the casing fits but may have to strengthen the joists, i.e don't leave a loose joist attached to the casing only, it will have no strength. You have to support it off other joists or any way you can.

Generally, if your joists are 4"x2" for instance, buy a length of the same timber, make your hole 2" biger and make a frame out of the 4"x2" first. Drop it in, making sure all surrounding or cut joists are supported.

Ok, so it’s stupid question time:

I get the idea of having to secure the cut joists to a length of 2x4 and secure this to the existing and uncut joists to carry the load.

Is it really as easy as that?

Measure the rectangle, add 2” all round, cut a hole, fix new 2x4, fix casing…

Hi therms,

Yes it can be that easy, so long as there's no other obstructions to cut into and there are different size joist hangers you can buy for support if you can't get a decent fix. Sometimes, it's easier to put the 4"x2" frame in 1 length at a time.

Good luck!!

Sponsored Links
I think it’s all straightforward. The opening is going to have to be a lot bigger than it is now, so I know I have to cut back some joists. I will also have to move the light, but no problems there I’m sure.

Thanks for you help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back