Loft/ Office Space Floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Please can anyone help me, with the current times I have been asked to work from home on a full-time basis. I live in a mid-terraced house. I am thinking of converting the loft into office space and wanted to know what size joists I would have to install to support the load. Currently, they are 3 x 2 and the space is 20square meters.

Sponsored Links
I'm afraid to break it to you, but nearly any work of this nature counts as converting the loft to a 'habitable' space and hence comes with a raft of building control requirements, with fire regs being the most difficult to meet. The only exception to this is creating a loft storage room, but even this is considered a grey area by building control.

I don't know if you've seen this channel, but there are plenty of examples of built 'storage rooms' here:

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
ok thankyou i will have a look, i just wanted to know what joists would be good to use so i dont end up in the bathtub.

A Google for 'joist span tables' should give you an idea.
Joist spacing, beam span, grade of structural timber and local availability should also be considered... And how you are going to get them up to the loft! :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back