Loft Wiring (Getting an extra plug socket) HELP!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Right as stated in a couple of other posts i am in the middle of getting my loft turned into my bedroom and i am a student so trying to do some of it myself and on the cheap.

I only have one double wall socket which is inconvenient to say the least to i want to put in 1 or 2 more.

is it possible to take the wires from the existing socket, put them in a junction box and run the new wires to the existing and new sockets?

My house still has its original wiring so has no earth wiring is this a problem with a junction box?

Thanks,

Sean

Sponsored Links
There's no earth wire on the socket circuit? Or do you mean the lights.

There's no earth wire on the socket circuit? Or do you mean the lights.

i am a student so trying to do some of it myself and on the cheap.

Doing it on the cheap can mean you are very likely to create a dangerous situation that might even be a seriosu hazard to life.

Putting electrics to the side for a moment.

You say you are converting a loft to a bedroom. What was the loft before you started the conversion to a bedroom ?

Do you own the house ?

Is it a properly constructed room with all the necessary checking and if necessary strengthening of joists supporting the floor properly carried out ?

Has the conversion got planning and building control approval ?

Loft conversions done "on the cheap" have been known to collapse into the room(s) below with fatal results.

Sponsored Links
No earth wires in any circuits in the house.

No it is my mums house it was used as a bedroom before she moved in (over 20 years ago) and the joiner that put the stairs in checked to see if floors were strong enough they are they have walls and everything its just needing refurbished and modernized lets say.

Thanks again,

Sean

In which case stop now and call an electrician in - your house is dangerous. :eek:
Words of wisdom there bouncer!

If there is no earths on the socket outlets, this is a dangerous position to be in. You can now forget doing anything on the cheap, you need an electrician, quicker than sharpish.

The above two posts are spot on.

You must get that wiring replaced by a qualified electrician, and you must do so as a matter of extreme urgency. Anybody in the house is one faulty appliance or one faulty cable away from death.

No it is my mums house it was used as a bedroom before she moved in (over 20 years ago) and the joiner that put the stairs in checked to see if floors were strong enough they are they have walls and everything its just needing refurbished and modernized lets say.
How could it have been a bedroom with no stairs to it?

Was the joiner a structural engineer?

How many storeys does the house now have? If it's more than two, have you implemented all the fire-precaution things that you should?

When you applied for Building Regulations approval, what did you say would be the way you'd comply with Parts A, B, F, L & P?

Being a student and doing things cheaply cannot and must not equate to doing things dangerously and illegally.

If I found a house with no earths I would consider leaving the power on as being dangerous. With no power the house would be considered as inhabitable. It would be a case of looking for a hotel for occupants until corrected.

I find it very hard to beleive that your sockets have been wired without an earth, I dont believe this was acceptable at any point in time... are you sure you are not looking at a conduit or MI installation thats just lacking the flyleads to the boxes?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back