Log Splitter slow retraction - any ideas?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have an electric log splitter - Handy Splitter 6 tonne

It got low on oil - now filled.

It has started to retract after splitting really really slowly

any ideas why this might be and what we can do about it?

Many thanks for reading,

Stephen

Sponsored Links
We've discovered that the bolts which hold the ram bed onto the body have slipped down in their slots, meaning that the lever to retract hits the frame, and doesn't fully clear the button it pushes - repairs are ongoing!

Sponsored Links
Tired of trying to hold the electric push to make ON switch whilst juggling with the ram movement lever, I've replaced the push ON switch with an ON/OFF one......probably completely against H&S recommendations but at least it prevents me requiring a third arm :mrgreen:
Give the moving anvil regular squirts with WD40 or similar.
John :)

My neighbour pretty much removed his thumb with one of these last week. Its held on now with plates and screws.
Its a good idea to keep a close eye on the blade as it travels.

Last edited:
We've discovered that the bolts which hold the ram bed onto the body have slipped down in their slots, meaning that the lever to retract hits the frame, and doesn't fully clear the button it pushes - repairs are ongoing!
Having fixed that, it was still hitting a nut on the body, I was about to reach for the angle-grinder, but the workaround is to slacken off the nut holding the ram movement lever, so the button it pushes can come out fully - I guess the fix would be some kind of adjustment in that button?

For sure, don't modify the hydraulic button in any way.....it has O rings around its shaft and the movement of the button is fairly critical. Feel free to bend slightly the lever that pushes it though - you can always bend it back again. Maybe the angle grinder method is just as good!
My own modification wasn't as good as I'd hoped......keeping the motor running was a good move, or so I thought - but the motor has to be stopped to allow the ram to retract. That I didn't know! However, allowing the hydraulic button to come out just a little more overcame this issue, but again the adjustment is critical. Just me trying to be too clever! o_O
John :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back