Long flues for boilers in basements (7 storeys down)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My reliable but oldish gas boiler had a flu-booster or fan fitted when I bought the flat. It was replaced once 8 years ago but needed attention 1 year ago and all companies say it is now illegal to fit a new one. The only boiler with a very long flexible flu is a Keston which a plumber has supplied to many basement flats in the W8 area. He says he has had no problems but the plumber websites all say they are rubbish, trouble etc. Tried the companies like Worcester etc but none can supply a flu which will fit up the well which is 7 storeys high. Any ideas? No hot water or central heating since April. Don't want to fit an electric boiler.

Sponsored Links
Atag, Viessmann are the two we would look at.

Your installer will have to look at all the options though. We've done 4 or 5 storeys - 7 might be pushing it a bit though.

Call someone who is competent with regard to fan replacement , although 99% of gas bods aren't so good luck. :rolleyes:

Seven story flexible flue?? ha,ha,. :rolleyes:

Boiler dependant of course but:

http://www.interactiveholding.com/pdf/Broch_PP_EN.pdf

Suggest you read carefully.

FLEXIBLE FLUE TUBE
DIAMETERS 80 mm, 100 mm and
130 mm (F2)
● suitable for condensing boilers having a maximum flue gas
temperature of 120°C;
● the flexible PP (Polypropylene) flue tube is supplied in coils
and is connected and coupled with specially designed fittings
● standard lengths 12 metres, 25 metres and 50 metres.

Once read and digested... why don't you do what I suggested you do in your own personal thread.

Sponsored Links
Now then Bamber.......the OP has a category B1 flue which in turn has a fan fitted to aid in flue dispersal , now ALL SE/U ducts (southern electric gas ;)) are designed for category C2/C4 appliances , bare this in mind when the OP stated the boiler in question uses a fan in order to aid in the clearance/removal of flue gasses to which I assume is due to flue/chimney system running a torturous route.

Are you aware of a category C appliance that requires an additional fan in order to clear POC's???? :eek:

You wouldn't know where to start with regard to SE/U duct chimney sizing , please let's not start on modular/shared/diluted chimney systems. :LOL:

xxxxxxxxx ;) ;)

Latest Kestons are based on Ideal Logic & Evomax boilers, so very reliable, built in UK and backed up by Ideal Boilers. Older models seem to have been of questionable quality and hence bad name, but latest boilers since early 2013 are good.

Valiant with an 80/125 flue can give some impressive lengths... (around 30m I think?)

Maximum flue length for some Vaillant boilers is 27 metres with 80/125 vertical flue system but flue length is reduced by 2.5 metres per 87 elbow or 1 metre per 45 elbow.

Daniel.

Valiant with an 80/125 flue can give some impressive lengths... (around 30m I think?)

And at an impressive cost too I expect.

Some of these light wells in London are probably a CO accident waiting to happen!

Does this flat really have no connection with the outside world? How do you get in for example?

Tony

Not the letter box. But most doors are only 6' 6" high! That's suits "normal" people.

But ceilings are often about 7' 6" high.

So there is usually a blank panel above a door to take up the space between top of door and ceiling.

Im with you Danny, have never seen anything like that , every day is a school day

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back