Long handled hedge trimmer suggestions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I am looking to buy a long handled battery hedge trimmer for some conifer hedges around 20m long x 5m high. I also have some other holly bushes and yew hedges to trim.

I think i need something with decent sized teeth opening? And have narrowed down to these.

I wondered if folks could help with what is better? Ideally i am looking for something mid price range, lightweight but grateful for your help.

HUSQVARNA 520iHE3 Pole Hedge trimmer (Battery Powered) UNIT ONLY | RTC Groundcare, The Groundcare Centre (peterboroughlawnmowers.co.uk)

STIHL HLA 66 CORDLESS LONG REACH HEDGE TRIMMER (UNIT ONLY) | RTC Groundcare, The Groundcare Centre (peterboroughlawnmowers.co.uk)

HUSQVARNA 120iTK4-H CORDLESS pole hedge trimmer C/W hk4 TRIMMER ATTACHMENT (UNIT ONLY) | RTC Groundcare, The Groundcare Centre (peterboroughlawnmowers.co.uk) (These look like a bargain but i wondered if they wouldnt be powerful enough or cut the branches?)

Ideally i would also like one that could have a chainsaw attachment too if possible - but if not happy to buy a separate long handled chainsaw if not too expensive.

Sponsored Links
The telescopic husqvarna is a lot more useful than the fixed length long reach.

But unless you really really want a 5m high hedge, I would look at reducing the height to something easier to maintain in the long term. And just use a non long reach hedge cutter, and some small steps.

My Son has ditched his stihl battery pole hedge cutter and bought a Husqvarna which he says is much smoother and faster cutting.

Thanks for suggestions.

I think i need something with a decent cutting capacity (thickness) and a good length pole. I need to keep the hedge at the height it roughly is as its for privacy and wont work if its lower :(

I narrowed it down to these i think then

The stihl is around £100 cheaper £600ish with battery and charger vs £730 ish for the husq.

Grateful for other advice as thats much more than i was hoping!

Sponsored Links
Thanks for suggestions.

I think i need something with a decent cutting capacity (thickness) and a good length pole. I need to keep the hedge at the height it roughly is as its for privacy and wont work if its lower :(

I narrowed it down to these i think then

The stihl is around £100 cheaper £600ish with battery and charger vs £730 ish for the husq.

Grateful for other advice as thats much more than i was hoping!
That Husqvarna is the one my Son has just bought to replace the Stihl. While he really rates it over the Stihl he said it would never replace his petrol ones when the going gets tough or needs to rush to finish a job

Ah thanks i will have another look at them. I was hoping that the Stihl would be very close as it (from specs) seems to be 1kg lighter which looked good to me! @lostinthelight is your son a gardner by trade or does it he use it just in his own garden etc?

Ah thanks! I was hoping someone would say oh here is a cheaper one thats almost as good :)

The batteries from all the big brands tend to be much of the same price when you compare the number of cells, although prices have gone up recently, and there's been supply problems.
Worth thinking about what other cordless tools you might want in the future, and what batteries you would want for them.

IMO worth getting the fastest charger available which for Husqy is currently qc500 (500w).

Also, have you used a long reach hedgecutter before? Personally I hate using them for lower down stuff, I cut 8ft high with short handle (but long blade) cutters. Beyond that it's tripod ladder or long reach.
For a wide hedge you need to be stood on a ladder level with the top, then use the long reach to cut all of the top width of the hedge

Ah thanks i will have another look at them. I was hoping that the Stihl would be very close as it (from specs) seems to be 1kg lighter which looked good to me! @lostinthelight is your son a gardner by trade or does it he use it just in his own garden etc?
I have the Stihl (well the 85 which is just the previous model) hedge trimmer and pole saw. Both are excellent and arborists I know rate them too.
My shoulders give out long before the battery does (AP200) and it is excellent. I have about 50m of conifer hedge up 8m high so I have given it a fair bit of use and I would never see any point having a petrol version for home use, it cuts quickly and quietly.
I have the decent charger but as I say, I haven't needed to charge mid-use if it started fully charged. I have a Stihl e-chainsaw using the same battery too, it all seems good kit.

I would try and find your local Stihl dealer though instead of buying online, if you're fortunate enough to have one. Well, if you have a Husky deadler check them too.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back