Long hedgcutter?

Ryobi are cheap and cheerful and as already mentioned the cutting heads need TLC.
But to be honest the whole 4 in 1 needs ongoing maintenance.

We would have 2 engines with us and any trouble just change over.
You can add as many extensions as you want but 2 would be plenty.
We only use them ourselves for heavy domestic.

The 25cc seem to be more reliable than the more popular 30cc, but they are all extremely temperamental.
But will do a good days work better than most at a fraction of the cost, if maintained and used carefully.

Sponsored Links
Ryobi are cheap and cheerful and as already mentioned the cutting heads need TLC.
But to be honest the whole 4 in 1 needs ongoing maintenance.

We would have 2 engines with us and any trouble just change over.
You can add as many extensions as you want but 2 would be plenty.
We only use them ourselves for heavy domestic.

The 25cc seem to be more reliable than the more popular 30cc, but they are all extremely temperamental.
But will do a good days work better than most at a fraction of the cost, if maintained and used carefully.
My current machine is a Ryobi multi tool. Never had a problem with the engine but the hedgcutter bit which slots into engine bit has rounded off three times and I am sick of repairing it. The extension on it stopped working ages ago as well, so it's not that long anymore either. I still use it for strimming but thought the Stihl multi tool would last longer as a long reach hedgcutter.

Mcalister is another cheap multi tool. Stihl is £600 just for engine, extension and hedgcutting bit though so I hope it will last longer with the tough hedges I'll push it through

Broke a drive to the hedge cutter but no rounding off of the square drive.
You'd need to be picking the drive tubes up secondhand as they seldom give trouble on the strimmer head and they are to expensive to be buying new every time. We pay around £30 complete strimmer secondhand from the local adds. Sometimes 3 for £50, makes a big difference if they are doing a lot of work.

Broke a drive to the hedge cutter but no rounding off of the square drive.
You'd need to be picking the drive tubes up secondhand as they seldom give trouble on the strimmer head and they are to expensive to be buying new every time. We pay around £30 complete strimmer secondhand from the local adds. Sometimes 3 for £50, makes a big difference if they are doing a lot of work.
Are u saying hold onto my Ryobi? Forget the Stihl dream

I should advertise in local newspaper for drive tubes for my engine part?

Sponsored Links
They sell a harness too. Any good? think it takes the weight off your back.

15337406716521841634711.jpg
So got Stihl multi tool with extension. Its next to my ladder with ankalad stabilizer so it's freestanding. I reckon combining the two I can get 6 metres in height

Just keep an eye for secondhand on the small adds, but you have to be patient. We did advertise for strimmers, but was a waste of time. Drive tube for the engine part, might be clutch failure?

No don't loose the Stihl dream, but its always good to have a plan B for a fraction of the cost.

I wouldn't be a fan of ladders ............

Just keep an eye for secondhand on the small adds, but you have to be patient. We did advertise for strimmers, but was a waste of time. Drive tube for the engine part, might be clutch failure?

No don't loose the Stihl dream, but its always good to have a plan B for a fraction of the cost.

I wouldn't be a fan of ladders ............
What do u use? Staging?

Using this long reach hedgecutter off a ladder is precarious. I am wondering whether to strap myself to the ladder and get a Stihl harness as well to take weight off my back.

You need a tripod ladder for doing hedges/bushes.

That's the thing with long reach hedgecutters, they're hard going! I don't use mine unless absolutely necessary

You need a tripod ladder for doing hedges/bushes.

That's the thing with long reach hedgecutters, they're hard going! I don't use mine unless absolutely necessary
Am thinking about one. What u think of my ankalad stabilizer though? It's freestanding as well
DSC_1017.JPG

No going up any sort of ladder then start cutting a hedge, especially for long periods of time.
Can live with whatever we can reach from the ground with the pole hedge cutter.

All our cutting is at ground level using the extensions and to be honest after an hour or so, we do have enough.
We would be dangerous up a ladder at that stage.

No going up any sort of ladder then start cutting a hedge, especially for long periods of time.
Can live with whatever we can reach from the ground with the pole hedge cutter.

All our cutting is at ground level using the extensions and to be honest after an hour or so, we do have enough.
We would be dangerous up a ladder at that stage.
How can you do all the tops of hedges without a ladder? Or 5/6 metre hedges?

We don't we cut all hedges to suit the pole cutter and live with that.

We don't we cut all hedges to suit the pole cutter and live with that.
They're happy with that ? Maybe I should be more like this. I feel pretty comfortable on a ladder up to 2 metres though. From that height on grass or vegetation I doubt u could get that badly hurt

Your probably right, but we don't like using ladders especially when we are getting tired at the end of a long day.
So its best not to use ladders at all, the pole saws go high enough for us.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back