Longest combination square?

You might need to modify your thinking.
I fully agree with @^woody^ - you may need to alter your thinking. The longest off the shelf combi squares I know of are the 24in/600mm ones made to engineering standards, e.g. Starret, Moore & Wright, etc. These are pretty accurate, but at £200 a pop they are pricey. Next best is a medium quality general square such as the Bahco yer man mentions in his post. You can get a 600mm (metric) rule for these from
Axminster
- I got a similar rule from a guy on eBay a few years ago - but I have never seen a rule longer than 600mm. Why would you, though? At 600mm you are pushing the limits of accuracy of the Bahco and are well beyond the accuracy of the cheap, lightweight Chinese tat so many people mistakenly buy (see example above, also note Woody's explanation for this)

If you really need a longer square get yourself a dryliner's T-square. These are metric graduated only (because plasterboard comes in metric sizes) but are 1200mm (nearly 4ft) long to the tip. I often find mine (Marshalltown) to be handy for setting out sheet materials, but super accurate it isn't (although why would it be? A few millimetres gap in a joint will just disappear when the plasterboard is scrimmed and skimmed or taped and jointed). So OK for doing floor overboarding, etc

Sponsored Links
If you really need a longer square get yourself a dryliner's T-square. These are metric graduated only (because plasterboard comes in metric sizes) but are 1200mm (nearly 4ft) long to the tip.
Just to clarify, here is a ppicture of the 1200mm dryliner's T square being used to mark out an 8 x 4ft (2440 x 1220mm) sheet of 6mm plywood being used for floor over cladding. Big enough and accurate enough for the task

20230530_093638.jpg

Against a combi square these are huge, but the accuracy is really only moderate

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back