Look at this sexy work

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This is a Emerson heater at my dad's house he has just got fitted by some plumbers

They have plugged twin and earth into a plug top. Shouldn't this be heat resistant flex? It has burn the plug out

Or should it go straight into the fuse spur, the fuse spur on the wall used to feed an old power shower but is no longer used.

Also they have used red/black cores t+e

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Well i hope their plumbing is better standard than the electrical work ! Otherwise expect a flood :eek:

Get an electrian to wire it properly using heat resistant cable and wire it into a DP Switch.

Regards,

DS

Yes should be wired in a heat resisting cable and direct to spur. The thermostat is only permitted with a metal header tank or a plastic one specially designed to stand boiling water. Not permitted with a thermal plastic.

The reset is required where there is another form of water heating so a fault with for example a back boiler could over heat the water. If only electric heating then non resettable is used.

Idea is if thermostat fails once it may fail again so once it has failed it wants replacing. But if the over heat is caused by gas or solid fuel heating then you don't want to replace thermostat because of a fault with the other system.

However in that case then the header tank must be able to take the heat should a fault cause over heating. This death caused a re-think and for some reason the faulty thermostat was blamed rather than the thermal plastic tank however they were both responsible for death. Having lived in a house where solid fuel cooker often boiled the water one must also question the hearing of anyone in the house not alerting them to a problem in my mothers house the noise was unmistakeable.

Sponsored Links
Yes should be wired in a heat resisting cable and direct to spur. The thermostat is only permitted with a metal header tank or a plastic one specially designed to stand boiling water. Not permitted with a thermal plastic.

The reset is required where there is another form of water heating so a fault with for example a back boiler could over heat the water. If only electric heating then non resettable is used.

Idea is if thermostat fails once it may fail again so once it has failed it wants replacing. But if the over heat is caused by gas or solid fuel heating then you don't want to replace thermostat because of a fault with the other system.

However in that case then the header tank must be able to take the heat should a fault cause over heating. This death caused a re-think and for some reason the faulty thermostat was blamed rather than the thermal plastic tank however they were both responsible for death. Having lived in a house where solid fuel cooker often boiled the water one must also question the hearing of anyone in the house not alerting them to a problem in my mothers house the noise was unmistakeable.

The OP has a high limit stat built in to his rod stat.

Never saw that!

This looks like the sort of thing my plumber does to get the hot water back on over night before I come and wire everything up properly for them.

Are we sure that isn't what's happened here and an electrician is due to wire everything up properly?

Is my interpretation of the picture correct

an immersion heater wired in T&E?
plugged into some kind of block (maybe a plug in RCD? maybe a timer?)
plugged into an extension reel (is it fully uncoiled? I doubt it)
extension reel wired into a junction box sitting on the floor?
connected via another peice of flex to a FCU.

YUCK.

What exactly was it that burnt out? if it was literally the plug pin and the thing it was in contact with then I suspect the most likely explanation is a bad contact. If it was the extension reel then I would expect the cause to be heating from the cable not being fully uncoiled.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back