Looking for a Cross line laser level

the best line laser in this price bracket is the dewalt dw087k about £170 on amazon although mybe even cheaper elsewhere.
its got a pivoted buit in magnetic bracket and also an additional bracket which is suited to ceiling trim.
the best thing though is the line.in vertical mode when placed on the floor butted up against the a wall it actually projects back on itself from about a foot up the wall which in effect gives you an almost continuous beam. the horizontal spread is very good too.
you cannot go wrong with this laser.

Totally disagree - it's the most popular but only because it's been sold for longer.

The Bosch one that the OP has ordered is much better for 3 reasons:

1: the line is much brighter than the 087
2: the pendulum locks when it's not in use (the dewalt doesn't which means it rattles around inside the machine when being transported)
3: The Bosch wall mount is adjustable and can also be used as a mini tripod.

Add the 3 year warranty and there's no comparison.

Also Dewalt are just about to drop the 087 so if it was such a good machine you'd have to ask yourself why?

plus the bosch can be recalibrated (not sure if the dewalt can be ) and it has a pulse setting so can be used with a reciever to double the range ( or outdoors !!)

Sponsored Links
:p glad I pick the right one :D the pendulum lock swung it for me.

R5GTT could not help noticing that you pretty much only talk about tools on this forum and bosch mostly gets talk about...

are you a bosch rep or dealer?

would be good if worcester Bosch was as good as the tools but sadly it is more worcester than Bosch :LOL:

I work for a dealer and we sell a bit of everything tool wise, hence why that's pretty much all I talk about! Bosch is our main line as we do the tools + all the accessories so I probably do favour it over most other stuff (apart from their routers :LOL: )

Don't have a clue about their boilers though! :LOL:

@ seaangler
just checked out the bosch and i have to agree it is a good laser.is it better than the dewalt? not for me.

the locking feature for sloping is a definate plus although how many people would use this i would guess not many.had my laser a little over a year used daily in that time and calibration still spot on so exactly how detrimental to the laser by not locking it i don't know.I do know hilti have omitted this feature on their new lasers in favour of a damping material.

line brightness is perfectly adequate for the stated working distances on the 087.

not sure about the mini tripod wouldn't use this myself.seems abit of a gimmick to me.the pivoted bracket on the dewalt is also adjustable - its magnetic - you just slide it up and down.also included with it is the clamping bracket,and i suggest this is why its so polpular, not because how long its been out, the clamping bracket is perfectly suited for ceiling installation. be it MF or suspended this bracket is perfect.especially on finished walls where you cant fix the laser to it.it just clamps to the trim.i know alot in the trade use this laser.

they're dropping the 087 for the 088.the 088 appears identical except it pulses meaning it can be used with a range finder which brings it line with the bosch.

cant argue with the 3 year warranty.bosch clearly have alot of faith in their product.although the most likely death of a laser is getting knocked off its perch.does the warranty cover calibration?

your arguments don't sway it for me.dewalt all the way.

Sponsored Links
I work for a dealer

SNAP !!

rhythm is a dancer?

my main problem picking a laser level was no bugger give the details.

for example the fan angle? or how thick the projected line is?

it was really difficult to work out what was better, why this aspect was more important than that.
I am sure a cheaper one would do me but I could not guarantee it

@ seaangler
just checked out the bosch and i have to agree it is a good laser.is it better than the dewalt? not for me.

the locking feature for sloping is a definate plus although how many people would use this i would guess not many.had my laser a little over a year used daily in that time and calibration still spot on so exactly how detrimental to the laser by not locking it i don't know.I do know hilti have omitted this feature on their new lasers in favour of a damping material.

line brightness is perfectly adequate for the stated working distances on the 087.

not sure about the mini tripod wouldn't use this myself.seems abit of a gimmick to me.the pivoted bracket on the dewalt is also adjustable - its magnetic - you just slide it up and down.also included with it is the clamping bracket,and i suggest this is why its so polpular, not because how long its been out, the clamping bracket is perfectly suited for ceiling installation. be it MF or suspended this bracket is perfect.especially on finished walls where you cant fix the laser to it.it just clamps to the trim.i know alot in the trade use this laser.

they're dropping the 087 for the 088.the 088 appears identical except it pulses meaning it can be used with a range finder which brings it line with the bosch.

cant argue with the 3 year warranty.bosch clearly have alot of faith in their product.although the most likely death of a laser is getting knocked off its perch.does the warranty cover calibration?

your arguments don't sway it for me.dewalt all the way.

Fair enough, the point I made about the pendulum locking was more that it locks itself in position when the unit is turned off, so when it's being transported in the back of a van for instance, it's not rattling round. The thing with lasers is that they're not as robust as a power tool and this sort of thing can cause damage - I've seen enough 087's that have had to be sent for repair for this very reason. Just out of interest have you seen the Bosch in the flesh, or used one? Personally I think you'd see a difference between it and the Dewalt. Each to their own though - don't want to fall out with someone over a laser level :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back