Looking for a drill

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good evening :whistle:

I need a drill for three tasks :

1. Hooking up a shower curtain rail in the bath onto tiles.
https://www.wickes.co.uk/Croydex-Modular-Shower-Rail---4-Ways-To-Fit/p/231380#

2. I have bought a CCTV set from Amazon a year ago and the electrician guy from my ex workplace is always too busy to come round and fit this for me( I did say I will pay him ). Luckily the cameras are WIFI but I still need to secure them to the outside wall and also need to somehow power them by feeding a power cable from each to inside my house and then hook it up to something somewhere .. maybe bridge it to the cable supplying power to the external lamp hanging above my door.

3. I need to affix a sensor LED external light ( at my sibling's house ) and also cable it for power purposes.

Please recommend me a decent drill and bits to buy. I have a 15 years old Challenger drill at home which I bought from Argos but it feels unsatisfactory. :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Note just a DIyer
how big is the budget?
Do you want cordless ? or with a cable ?

for masonry , I use the bosch multipurpose Bits
https://www.toolstation.com/bosch-m...FoM2MU5OMZOEmqT9-XeZQ14yTvtkkUe8aAkfLEALw_wcB

I have various Bits for Wood / Metal etc and just last week, picked up small dewalt set from toolstation on offer for £10 https://www.toolstation.com/dewalt-combination-drill-bit-set/p63071

And have now migrated to a Dewalt cordless combi hammer drill , and used for lots of diy tools, drilling brickwork, tiles wood etc

Last edited:
Note just a DIyer
how big is the budget?
Do you want cordless ? or with a cable ?

for masonry , I use the bosch multipurpose Bits
https://www.toolstation.com/bosch-m...FoM2MU5OMZOEmqT9-XeZQ14yTvtkkUe8aAkfLEALw_wcB

I have various Bits for Wood / Metal etc and just last week, picked up small dewalt set from toolstation on offer for £10 https://www.toolstation.com/dewalt-combination-drill-bit-set/p63071

And have now migrated to a Dewalt cordless combi hammer drill , and used for lots of diy tools, drilling brickwork, tiles wood etc

I have an extension reel, so cordless does not matter to me.
Budget .. I dunno...how much are they these days .. around £50?

Sponsored Links

No you don't.

If he was to buy a decent combi drill and the correct drill bit he could drill through a solid or cavity wall no problem for just poking through a small power cable.

Obviously it would take a little longer than with an sds,

That SDS is massively overkill for the op's needs.

The OP isn't (from his description) likely to ever need an sds drill again.

A corded drill is no good for driving screw drivers and is quite cumbersome with the lead hanging down.

What is your budget? (P.s don't be fooled by the "deals" Screwfix and toolstation have they are generally the rubbish version of a branded drill)

Note from post 3 - What is your budget?
Budget .. I dunno...how much are they these days .. around £50?

I put 14mm holes in brickwall to take 12mm Coach Bolts and nuts , to bolt a post to a small wall, 2 holes per post and 4 posts (8 holes )
took some time, but did with a cordless dewalt Drill - one of the cheap screwfix kits.
BUT then got a SDS drill to do all the rest 8 posts , so much quicker and easier , but the combi hammer drill did do the work.

But i dont have any experience or recommendations for a Hammer Drill around £50 , i have only had very old Bosch Hammer drill corded 25+ years old.

The Ferrex tools at Aldi fits your budget and probable tool lifetime. Make sure it has 'Hammer' function.
Edit - now see those are out of stock...

try this instead if it fails you can always return it for replacement inside a few weeks.

Drill bits - buy a set of Masonry Bits.

For tiles you need proper bits to penetrate the tile first.

A final comment - I'd not trust WiFi cameras unless you are in an isolated rural area purely on the amount of WiFi kit in populated areas which will impair the reliability of the connection between camera and recorder. How are the cameras powered? if by cable then proper wired cameras to the recorder are much better.

Last edited:
The Ferrex tools at Aldi fits your budget and probable tool lifetime. Make sure it has 'Hammer' function.

try this instead if it fails you can always return it for replacement inside a few weeks.

A final comment - I'd not trust WiFi cameras unless you are in an isolated rural area purely on the amount of WiFi kit in populated areas which will impair the reliability of the connection between camera and recorder. How are the cameras powered? if by cable then proper wired cameras to the recorder are much better.

I am aiming to follow this guy for drilling through the tiles

And, I bought this CCTV for £120 :
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B06VTHXDY7/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

No you don't.

If he was to buy a decent combi drill and the correct drill bit he could drill through a solid or cavity wall no problem for just poking through a small power cable.

A corded drill is no good for driving screw drivers and is quite cumbersome with the lead hanging down.

What is your budget? (P.s don't be fooled by the "deals" Screwfix and toolstation have they are generally the rubbish version of a branded drill)

The sds drill referred to is within his stated budget, a 2 kg sds would be fine. I doubt he will "never" use an sds again. A combi could get through weaker modern block/brick but an sds will suit harder older brick or even stone. So both drills would prove a good investment.

Blup

Off to get my drill and bits. First on the list will be drilling the tiles, drilling the cameras will come later on.

If you ever need to drill in to concrete or hard bricks then it makes sense to buy an SDS drill. No other drill will suffice.

To drill through ceramic tiles, any rotary drill will be ok (with the correct tile bits). If you are drilling in to exterior walls, in 9 times out of 10 a rotary drill with "multipurpose" drill bits will be fine.

If you ever need to drill in to concrete reinforced lintels, four flute sds drill bits in an SDS drill are advisable. I have snapped the end off regular SDS bits when putting up curtains and hit a "rebar" in the past.

Bought all those this weekend. SF didn't have the Dewalt set so I went to B&Q and got the ryobi set.
All helped me drill through bathroom tiles and install a shower curtain rod.

I was pretty scared of drilling through the tiles.
So, I watched that Youtube video and practised on a spare tile first. It is easier when you have gravity helping you!

During the actual drilling, the bit kept slipping despite me using masking tape. The rail holders had 3 screws and I had to keep marking new holes after successfully drilling through a hole. The holes were not where they were meant to be but a few mm's off.

I used the Bosch bit first and then the Ryobi masonry bit. When hammering in the rawl plug, I placed a rubber glove on top to act as a cushion.

That's easy to say, but an SDS is so much quicker and more certain than a combi hammer drill for making holes in walls, that if that is all they can do, that's great. The OP can simply use a screwdriver for screws. I rarely bother with using a drill/driver anyway. For £25-ish, plus the cost of a battery and charger - the OP could buy a Lidl SDS plus battery drill kit, complete with a range of SDS bits. £5 more will buy a set of longer bits - I bought a set of three ten years ago and still working fine where a deep hole is needed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back