Looking for a gate latch that I can secure to house wall and not a post

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have this gate that’s perpendicular to the house wall. We keep it closed with a heavy plant! (Stop the dog pushing it open)

I’d like to put a gate latch on it. Something like this XFORT® Gate Latch, Garden Gate Catch, Auto Gate Latch Ideal for Front Garden Gates (Black) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07CQ2LMZX/

but this implies there’s a post. Those latches are secured 90 degrees to the gate.

I can’t find something similar that I can secure direct to the wall of the house. I don’t really want to secure a post to the house just for a latch.

Does anyone know of anything? Just needs to keep the keep the gate from being pushed open and be easy for a human to open close it.

thanks

Attachments

• D787AFF3-AF49-4598-AC5E-EBE843D2FD22.jpeg
    D787AFF3-AF49-4598-AC5E-EBE843D2FD22.jpeg
    430.1 KB · Views: 160
Sponsored Links
Actually I have found something now soon as I posted this. On Amazon it’s a Right Angled Latch. Works a bit different to the one above, no thumb opener thing, but looks like it may do the job I want. Although my dog intelligence is growing it does look easy to push up and open. She already figured out how to open my patio sliding doors

I think you need a fastening designed for an animal enclosure.

there are various designs used for horses and pigs, which are particularly intelligent animals.

this is one example (I couldn't find a pic of the one I am most familiar with). which has a pivoting plate, dropping under gravity, to block movement of the bolt)

StableBolt.jpg

listed as "pig bolt" "stable bolt" "animal bolt"

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
dont forget the noise issue as in post both absorb energy[noise] and the gate stop stops the gate going the other way possibly bending the hinges or "crashing" into something ??

Just fix a piece of 2”x2” to the wall. That will act as the gate stop then you can drill a hole in it and fix a simple slide bolt to the gate.

That's what I'd do, that's what you'd do but the OP doesn't want a bit of wood there, I think it would actually look better.

I think you need a fastening designed for an animal enclosure.

Occurred to me I just put the latch the other side of the gate, not inside the patio area where we'd let the dog out! She wont be intelligent enough to actually reach over and pull it open with a paw I don't think.

Ah yes that would do the job. I didn't see this, or if I did I thought it was a standard one not right angled.

Just fix a piece of 2”x2” to the wall. That will act as the gate stop then you can drill a hole in it and fix a simple slide bolt to the gate.
I didnt see a reason to fix timber to the wall in order to fix the latch to that when I should be able to just fix the latch to the wall. The timber would be an extra object thats just visible when the gate is open and potential hazard.

I decided to try this:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07VB7HTPY/

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back