1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

looking for a pivot hinge

Discussion in 'Wood / Woodwork / Carpentry' started by JohnD, 9 Jun 2019.

1. JohnD

JohnD

Thanks Received:
    Cook Islands
    I have a 900mm gap between two kitchen units, where the cooker extractor is, about 440mm high.

I want to put a matching door between them to cover the gap over the hood.

I'm looking for something that will hinge up if the cooker hood, or the electrical connections above it that also supply undercab lights, ever need attention. The door, or flap, will be at a slight angle because it is not the same height as any of my spare doors.

I'm visualising a sort of peg that sticks out of the cabinets on each side, with the door hooking onto them, so it can be lifted up or taken off.

Is there a cheap and simple solution?

TIA

2. foxhole

foxhole

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Shelf over the top and use conventional kitchen hinges? Kitchen door will be 896mm wide.Or if you just want a removable panel keku fittings.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. big-all

big-all

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    not sure exactly what you describe but a sliding stay or friction stay hinge may be useful

Last edited: 9 Jun 2019
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. Newboy

Newboy

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. JohnD

JohnD

Thanks Received:
    Cook Islands
    thanks for the suggestions

I can't see quite what I want (I could use a pair of spring-balanced flap hinges, but it is relatively expensive and needs a lot of careful fixings)

There is no top-box, just a gap above the hood.

I am now visualising a small barrel bolt, like you might use on a bathroom or cupboard door, screwed to the inner surface of the door on each side, horizontal, near the top, which I can shoot into a loose-fit hole drilled in the side of the cabinets on each side. I might possibly put a ferrule in each hole.

I can put the door in position by shooting the bolts, it will hang down to cover the cavity, and then pivot, roughly, enough for me to get at the inside of the cavity for maintenance purposes, and I can remove it completely by withdrawing the two bolts.

Is there a neater, simple, cheap way?

6. Ian H

Ian H

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    What about a piece of wood cut at 45 degrees? I have this in a door that hides my boiler so it can be easily lifted off
    A379EB82-71A8-4C8B-9655-97ED8118DE30.png

• Thanks Thanks x 1