Looking for a powerful flashlight.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Need it to light up the top of a 4 storey building, (ground, first, second and third floors), from ground level. Light needs to be 'white light'. Don't want any fancy beams or anything, just a good standard flashlight. What sort of lumens should I be looking for and must be re-chargeable to save buying batteries every week.

Any recommendations?

Sponsored Links
Nice bit of kit but I have a 3500 lumen one at the moment but the problem is it's only a small diameter beam. I need a wide beam for checking the upper floor windows are secure and a small beam means looking individually at each window. Would also come in handy for checking the grounds.

Pretty sure with the Lenser one it has an adjustable beam from narrow to wide. If the budget stretches you could consider an MT 18 that uses 3 LEDs and definitely has an adjustable beam you just pull the bezel of the light back to go to wide beam. Lumens should be a constant measure but some lumens appear more equal than others especially those from China.

Sponsored Links
Make sure they are closed from inside then do an outside walk to make sure cleaners/contractors haven't opened one after I've moved to other areas.
If the external security company find one open they charge £35-£40 to come in and close it.

why not a lantern? it won't fit in your coat pocket, will that be a problem? with modern LEDs you can get plenty of light without big batteries

something like this

(edited)

2_205_5.jpg

I keep one in the car. I don't know what a million candlepower is in lumens, but it seems enough.

Do you want yours to have SOS flashing in case you get lost? Or a strobe? OR various levels of brightness as you turn it on/off?

IF not - do let us know which you go for because most I find have those damn stupid multiple modes.

On/off is enough for me.

does the torch have a lens on the front ??
if its at all shaped as in fish eye try removing it and see how it effects the spread
remember if you are used to a say 1mx1m coverage with your torch a say 3mx3m coverage with the same power it stands to reason it will be possibly 1/9th as bright as its covering 9 times the area??

Do you want yours to have SOS flashing in case you get lost? Or a strobe? OR various levels of brightness as you turn it on/off?

IF not - do let us know which you go for because most I find have those damn stupid multiple modes.

On/off is enough for me.

No just straight on/off with a good light and wide beam. The one John has posted looks quite suitable. Think I will try to source one.

That was quick! Just entered 'Rechargeable Million Candlepower flashlight' into Amazon Smile and bang! it was there.
£20.99 and delivery Friday. Perfect for me to have a play with it over the fields at the weekend.
Thanks JohnD

That was quick! Just entered 'Rechargeable Million Candlepower flashlight' into Amazon Smile and bang! it was there.
£20.99 and delivery Friday. Perfect for me to have a play with it over the fields at the weekend.
Thanks JohnD
the one i had was really really bright but lasted about 15- 18 mins and took i think it was 16 hrs to charge??
gave it away as useless but that was about 15 years ago so may be much better now

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back