Looking for home CCTV and front door security advice

JP_

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
OK, so we've decided we want CCTV. Ideally I would like something that backs up to cloud. I guess HD is a must, or you won't actually be able to use it to ID people, just prove a break in.
Been looking at Maplin, Amazon etc. and too many choices.....
has anybody set anything up recently? We probably only need 2 cameras, plus a front door camera - but this could be one of the 2 recorded cameras, rather than just a video intercom camera.

Obviously concerns are if using a HDD then burglar might nick this - unless its wired in under the floor... which is possible with my renovations... I could send the camera cables through the air bricks! Anyway, suggestions please.

EDIT i've just spotted this thread ... https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/cctv-recommendation.493009/
so answers might all be there!

Edit 2. This actually seems OK and good value at £120
https://www.amazon.co.uk/KKmoon-Wea...id=1511785254&sr=8-2&keywords=cctv+cloud&th=1

no cloud, but maybe no need for cloud....

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
The problem with the cloud is the usage on your internet. HD footage is not small and will be a drain on your net and if your with a supplier that caps you then won’t be any good. In my eyes cameras are more of a deterrent and good to catch things like the post man chucking packages in your garden. If a thief manages to break in and steal the NVR/DVR I very much doubt the footage would be useful anyway I am sure they would of scouted seen the camera and covered faces.

I was thinking that - well, more the cost. Got BT infinity, so that should not be a problem. But cloud storage is costly. Maybe better to just hide the hdd somewhere and then have a separate hd hidden camera inside pointing right at the place where the hdd drive is ....

I was thinking that - well, more the cost. Got BT infinity, so that should not be a problem. But cloud storage is costly. Maybe better to just hide the hdd somewhere and then have a separate hd hidden camera inside pointing right at the place where the hdd drive is ....

If you are worried you could even go down the route of buying an empty shell of something that resembles cctv like an old VHS player and put a big sticker CCTV on it and put in a obvious location with some cables coming out back that appear to run off to cameras but go no where. Then the real one somewhere hidden.

Sponsored Links
that's a cunning plan.

Freecycle ... "broken cctv drive needed". ...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back