Looking for Ideas

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,

I'm planning to extend and convert my bungalows loft and roof space (above flat roof extension). I'm trying to design it myself but i have no design/architectural experience, so i'm attempting to learn. I would like to put 3 bedrooms upstairs, a family bathroom and maybe 1 en-suite so need a fair bit of space. I'm not currently sure if the best idea is to replace the whole roof (currently its a cut hip roof) or to get someone to build some dormers and extend out the back but until i understand what is possible i can't really make a decision - i'm looking to do it relatively cheaply.

So firstly, I've been trying to think of how to extend the current roof (see pics). I was hoping experienced people can tell me what sort of thing they might consider? The ideal situation to maximise space is to extend out to create a gable end over the rear extension, but if i do this the new ridge would have to be higher than the old ridge (as the existing ridge is at 90 degrees to it). It seems like this is the wrong thing to me, it will look strange and may not be allowed by planning.

I also thought about a M shape ridge (double ridge?) making it slightly lower and still match the current angles.

Are there any other options? Given my situation, would extending the roof like or getting a new roof be cheaper?

Any ideas much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
if I were you I'd sub-divide that massive garden and use the dosh to get a builder in. :mrgreen:

Sponsored Links
How about getting a big crane, hook it too the ridge and lift the roof 8 ft then build the walls up drop the roof back down that will be cheap.

I didn't know this forum was frequented by so many comedians. :D Are there any diy'ers or builders out there though?

All i want to know really is what people have seen on similar types of roofs/extensions, there must be plenty out there right? What have they done to the roof on those?

You can just extend the lot and have a section of flat roof at the top instead of an apex/ridge

Or extend one side of the roof, and have a normal ridge and then have a small bit of flat roof one side of the existing extension

i think your best bet mate is to get a builder/roofer in to look at it and will tell you the best way forward most good builders/roofers should give you free advice.but dont do the biggest mistake people do and try and do it on the cheap because in the end it wont be worth it.pay cheap get cheap!! and then pay to get it put right!!! :)

Thanks all for your replies. I think i like the smallish flat roof option, I've tried to model it a bit and i've added some dormers and made it hip shape because a gable end looked bad with ridge or not, and even though i lose space it's probably nicer to have a better looking building.

Does this look like a good plan?

Also, when i said relatively cheap i meant it, not doing it on the cheap if you know what i mean.

personaly i like your idea. Lead coming on to the tiles with the top cut (meaning no ridge) would look nice

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back