Looking for serious business corded drill

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

It's my old man's 50th coming up and he has a new kitchen on order to mark the occasion. He's been a DIYer all his life but never invested in decent kit.

Problem is he recently bought his council flat and the walls are made of serious stuff. I think it's supposed to be concrete but I swear if you mined the walls you'd get a few diamonds out of it. It really is something else.

Anyway his budget Black & Decker takes about a minute to drill a 6mm hole, so you can imagine how hilarious it will be for him to put up a whole set of cabinets, shelves and that.

I've got about £300 to spend, maybe more but just a ballpark for a guide. His last drill is 10 years old so maybe this kit will see him out (sorry dad!).

I'm totally open to any brand, product numbers/ranges would be great. Also accessories if you can recommend any, bits and chucks and stuff?

Are there any that can also chase out channels for wires, pipes? Is that an option? I think he wants to do as much of the work as he can - so the tradesman can do the wiring/gas in one hit.

Thanks guys!

Sponsored Links
I don't think you need to spend £300 on a corded drill as they tend to be fairly reasonable in price have an old 750w Bosch multihammer which will go through just about anything. It cost me £350 back in "98 but prices have really come down since so much cordless is available now.

This is a bit smaller but still should romp through the hard walls!

http://www.screwfix.com/p/bosch-2kg-sds-plus-drill-gbh2000-240v/87453#

the drill footprints has in the link is 1 quality piece of kit, had 1 for years, gets used daily. I would get that and also a set of drill bits and chisels to go with it.

and thrice 'BOSCH' i too have 1 of these,my 1st 1 last around 14 years.so being a glutton for punishment i bought another 1. ;)

Sponsored Links
Invest in a decent set of bits! The worlds most powerful drill would still take an age if the drill bit is made from cheese or doesn't have an edge.

Nozzle

I too have the blue Bosch - but not the model mentioned above. The previous model that I have was the GBH 2400 which was 720W instead of 650W and has an impact energy 2.7J as opposed to 1.7J - it came from Screwfix who don't seem to offer that model now.

Highly recommended though - it's always romped through anything I've pointed it at, I expect the one linked to wouldn't be anything different.

A Bosch blue SDS will go through owt.

Invest in a decent set of bits! The worlds most powerful drill would still take an age if the drill bit is made from cheese or doesn't have an edge.

Nozzle
We have just the one Hilti drill bit but it is always the one we reach for when stitch drilling. They have a cross shape tip and are so much faster at boring through masonry than regular bits. Awsome but pricey.

hilti%20te-yx%2012-22%20termite%20drill%20bit.jpg

Got to agree with the bosch blue, my first real purchase in my professional career was a bosch blue with a completley detatchable sds chuck and clip on 3 jaw, in 15 years of heavy use including chiseling the thing would just not die, its still in the family to this day, gave it to my brother who isn't a diy man so will get light use and he'll probably snuff it before this drill does currently all my tools are dewalts with a mixture of corded and cordless, if i had my biased head on i could of easily said get a dewalt but i won't, the bosch really is that good and for that price you'd have enough left to get him a nice set of sds bits so the drill is ready to use, nothing worse than getting a new toy and getting the urge to drill a hole only to find your usual bits don't fit :evil:

Guys, I can't thank you enough for the recommendations. I think he's going to be really pleased with what I've ordered. I went with the Bosch 2-28 DV from Screwfix. Significantly more pricey than the linked article and a bit sledgehammer meets walnut, but I had the money set aside and didn't want there to be any doubt of it's flexibility.

I also ordered suitable bits, chisels and a chuck adapter should he ever ditch his current drill.

Thanks again and I'll post an update when he's given it a whirl!

He won't be disappointed, that's the best SDS in its class. Bosch invented them, and so far, nobody has beaten them at their own game. Although Hilti can pretty much match them, if you want to spend that much..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back