Looking for something to connect two flexible conduit pipes together with IP rating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to run 30m of flexible conduit in the garden for some network cabling. The pipe comes in 10m runs so I will need to connect them together. How do you do this ensuring it stays waterproof?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Thanks, bit more expensive then the £5 for 10m at ScrewFix though.
It is often the case that the proper materials cost more than the wrong ones, and that proper jobs cost more than bodged ones.

I need to break off half way though as one of the cables will terminate there.
Then you'll need a 30+m length which you cut, or 2 x 15+m ones, the appropriate glands and enclosure(s). I assumed (sorry) that you just wanted end-to-end - the type of ducting I linked to is not suitable for glanding into enclosures.

But yes, you can easily get regular 20 or 25mm flexible conduit in longer lengths.

Why do you want flexible, BTW? Where will it be running?

Sponsored Links
Use an ip rated plastic box, how do you plan getting the cables through 30m of conduit, technically all conduits should be complete prior to cables drawn in.
Flexi conduit glands are only waterproof to a certain extent, you could get 2 Female conduit adapters and a short bit of pipe, solvent welded together and simply screw the flexi adapters into it, you could add some self amalgamating tape over the assembly.
shopping
shopping

It is often the case that the proper materials cost more than the wrong ones, and that proper jobs cost more than bodged ones.

Then you'll need a 30+m length which you cut, or 2 x 15+m ones, the appropriate glands and enclosure(s).

Why do you want flexible, BTW? Where will it be running?

It will run along the floor in the flowerbed to the outbuilding and house Cat6 cable. The cable is external grade but wanted some mechanical protection too.

I can't find anywhere that will connect conduit to a junction box

Use an ip rated plastic box, how do you plan getting the cables through 30m of conduit, technically all conduits should be complete prior to cables drawn in.
Flexi conduit glands are only waterproof to a certain extent, you could get 2 Female conduit adapters and a short bit of pipe, solvent welded together and simply screw the flexi adapters into it, you could add some self amalgamating tape over the assembly.
shopping
shopping
Thanks so much. Ill check out your method.

I can get drawstring through the pipe using a bag and hoover. Once the string is through, the rest should be easy...

I can't find anywhere that will connect conduit to a junction box
Don't tell me that Screwupfix sell conduit for which there are no glands? Mind you, I'd not be fall-of-my-chair surprised....

Any decent conduit will have glands available, in standard 20/25mm knockout size. Some have inserts which up the IP rating.

If you have them going up into the bottom of the box it should be fine.

Don't tell me that Screwupfix sell conduit for which there are no glands? Mind you, I'd not be fall-of-my-chair surprised....

Any decent conduit will have glands available, in standard 20/25mm knockout size. Some have inserts which up the IP rating.

If you have them going up into the bottom of the box it should be fine.

They come with glands but I can't find an IP rating for the glands so I assumed they weren't. Although the pipe is IP rated and used outdoors so would be silly to supply it with glands that weren't suitable for outdoor use. I think I'll just use the supplied glands to a Wiska box on the floor and run some silicone around the connections.

Saying it has to be IP rated is like saying there is a speed limit, but not saying what the limit is.
If you want IP 68 then that is really costly, drop to IP 67 and it is cheaper, in real terms it is very hard to seal glands 100% as air expands and contracts so it tends to suck water in, so better idea is replace the air, be it proper re-enter-able compound or petroleum jelly once the air is replaced then life becomes so much easier.

As ban says above, you often buy a seperate washer type rubber insert that fits in the gland prior to pushing in the flexi conduit, which then needs cutting square

Have a look at Adaptaflex and Kopex to get a feel for the sorts of conduit & glands there are.

Saying it has to be IP rated is like saying there is a speed limit, but not saying what the limit is.
If you want IP 68 then that is really costly, drop to IP 67 and it is cheaper, in real terms it is very hard to seal glands 100% as air expands and contracts so it tends to suck water in, so better idea is replace the air, be it proper re-enter-able compound or petroleum jelly once the air is replaced then life becomes so much easier.
Magic Gel!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back