Looking to find clamps for a cat perch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’m looking to make my own cat perch for a fat cat on a narrow window. I know the type of clamps I need, yet despite searching for weeks cannot find anything suitable, a caveat being I’m new to DIY, so probably lack the language to accurately describe what I need.
So I’ve attached an image and hope those with more experience will help.

Attachments

• 36C06ABE-3249-4E2A-8EE4-A2B8D6738C8A.jpeg
    36C06ABE-3249-4E2A-8EE4-A2B8D6738C8A.jpeg
    102.1 KB · Views: 51
Sponsored Links
That was one of the terms I searched for (and g), but I could only find clamps with a curved top, and I need flat unfortunately. Unless you know a place (UK or online) that supplies flat topped ones.
Although it’s good to know the proper name, thanks.

Please provide a photo or sketch of the window as it is, and what you want it to be like.

Clamps are not a typical solution

Is it a rented home?

Sponsored Links
Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Please provide a photo or sketch of the window as it is, and what you want it to be like.

Clamps are not a typical solution

Is it a rented home?

I’m trying to reverse engineer a fancy perch I can’t afford. I have the other parts laying around having just done some chair reupholstering. (Plus this solution leaves space for plants).

This, but it needs a bigger diameter. Like 50mm, to be sure. I’d also prefer a reputable (known) manufacturer. I have a Petzl carabiner on his harness because they’re load tested. Are they called Table force screw clamps?

Attachments

• 8A8AC26B-14F3-456D-AA41-8982B147FF58.jpeg
    8A8AC26B-14F3-456D-AA41-8982B147FF58.jpeg
    420.6 KB · Views: 69

This, but it needs a bigger diameter. Like 50mm, to be sure. I’d also prefer a reputable (known) manufacturer. I have a Petzl carabiner on his harness because they’re load tested. Are they called Table force screw clamps?
Sorry, I messed up the quote thing.

What about the one I linked to, is that the kind of thing you're after? Seems to me that our furry friends seldom use our man made efforts at making them more comfortable.

This one will. My dwarf sunflowers are in danger from his weighty presence. Sorry, as I said in my previous post, I messed up the quote thing. It’s almost the one, just needs a wider diameter.

you could fix a shelf bracket to the wall beneath the window

if the window board is wooden and you know for sure it is firmly fixed you could put a larger board on top and screw it down.

is it a rented home?

@freddiemercurystwin - those aren't "table clamp force screw clamps" (effing Chinglish!), they are fretwork clamps, and from memory were available in 1in, 2in and (sometimes) 3in sizes, but they are really weak and bend very easily (being made from bent mild steel strip and designed to hold only small light pieces of timber or thin plywood whilst it is sawn with a fretsaw). I think they would be utterly useless to hold anything of any size or weight for any length of time without the jaws opening, after all they are only thin, bent mild steel

Fretwork Clamps in Use.jpg

The nearest thing I can think of which are strong enough to potentially hold any amount of weight are those machine clamps with cast aluminium bodies where the top of the "G" is an 8mm diameter rod and are designed to go into an 8mm hole drilled into the edge of something like 18mm MDF

Elu Router Table Cramp.jpg

One difficulty is that I don't think these are made any more (Elu disappeared about 22 years ago and deWalt ceased selling these maybe 15 years back when they stopped selling the Elu-designed router tables). I for one have been unable to find an alternative manufacturer, although there surely must be one (in Germany). A modern equivalent might be the saw guide rail clamps such as these cheap ones from Evolution:

Evolution Track Clamp.jpg

What you can't see in the above photo is the long, flat top of the "G" which is hidden inside a slot in the guide rail. To hold a sheld ther would need to be a hole drilled through the platform (no need for anything fancy, cats really aren't that fussy in my experience)

Evolution Track Clamp 002.jpg

The issue, however, might be weight and overhang. The greater the weight of the cat and the greater overhang of the platform, the bigger and stronger the clamps will need to be. Frankly, I'd just make the platform out of 18mm MDF so that it runs right across the window board to the window and I'd screw through it into the window board with 3 or 4 no 4.0 x 40mm screws, as @foxhole recommends. When you leave, unscrew it, fill the holes with 2-pack filler and touch in with a bit of gloss paint

Last edited by a moderator:
what is the gap under the window cill to the wall it looks like 20mm mark ??
if so clamping to the front lip will not be secure enough for a jumping cat unless the overhang is minimal perhaps 50 mm ish
just realized its not an actual picture off the window so need to know the actual overhang

Last edited:
@JobAndKnock Unfortunately I have uPVC windowsills, so I can’t drill and fill. I was going to drill a hole in the mdf (as you suggested) and slide the clamps in there. Can I get around load issues using extra clamps?

@big-all The windowsill itself is about 150mm, with an additional overhang of about 100mm. I hoped that by drilling holes for the centrally positioned clamps I could avoid load instability.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back