Loop in Ceiling Rose

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I am trying to install a new bathroom light and am having some problems with the wiring. The new light only has a Live, Neutral and Earth termination, however, the 2 cables into the ceiling rose has a multitude of wires.

2 Black
2 Brown
2 Grey
2 Bare (I assume these are the earth)

The 2 Grey were attached to the loop in on the rose, cant remember where the other ones went (stupidly took them out without noting them!)

I have looked on the wiki and am unsure of how to connect these to the new light fitting.

Help Please?

Sponsored Links
I take it there is a timed fan?
How much room is there in the new fitting? Is it a bathroom type fitting? Are the wires likely to get hot in the top of the fitting?
I'm thinking the grey may have been used as the permanent live to a fan, possibly brown as switch live and black as neutral. The black and grey should have been sleeved to ID them as live (bn) or neutral (bu). The bare wires would normally be sleeved green/yellow and connected to the earth terminal.

I take it there is a timed fan?
How much room is there in the new fitting? Is it a bathroom type fitting? Are the wires likely to get hot in the top of the fitting?
I'm thinking the grey may have been used as the permanent live to a fan, possibly brown as switch live and black as neutral. The black and grey should have been sleeved to ID them as live (bn) or neutral (bu). The bare wires would normally be sleeved green/yellow and connected to the earth terminal.

Yes there is a timed fan. The wires are unlikely to get hot, it is a bathroom light which is flush to the ceiling. Would pictures help? There would appear to be no markings or sleeves on the the black or Grey. I did connect the greys with a chocbloc and when I try and switch the light on the fan does work but the light doesnt. The bare wires are earth, I remember taking them from the earth connector on the ceiling rose. My issue is if I connect a single black and brown to the fitting, what happens to the other ones?

Appreciate you help, I am trying to do this before it gets dark tonight.

I'd try the browns connected together and to the L, the blacks connected together and to the N.
Greys connected together and to nothing else. Both earths to the earth terminal.
Then backfit the correct sleeving tomorrow!

Sponsored Links
I'd try the browns connected together and to the L, the blacks connected together and to the N.
Greys connected together and to nothing else. Both earths to the earth terminal.

Possibly a silly question, how do i connect them together? Do you mean put them both into the screw down fitting in the light?

Possibly, can you post a piccy of the light? I'm wondering if you'd be better with a JB or similar and run a single twin and earth to the fitting.

That isn't speaker wire on it is it :eek: ? Need to put a grommet on the entry to the fitting.
Do you have a multimeter?
Can you also take a photo of the wiring in the switch?

The black, brown and grey are from the ceiling. The blue & Blue and black come from the termination on the light itself. The brown and blue wire dangling with the brown connector connects to the fitting with the halogen light bulbs.

When you say a picture of the switch do you mean the light switch on the wall?

Cheers

Yeah, the light switch on the wall. Do you have a multimeter?
Is the lightswitch outside the bathroom? (there are also certain places you can install a lightswitch inside the bathroom)

Are you 100% positive the greys were in the Loop (centre 3) on the old fitting? Bog standard ceiling roses ain't the best thing to have in a bathroom. People are tending to use grey as a neutral - doesn't help there's no sleeving.

Yeah, the light switch on the wall. Do you have a multimeter?
Is the lightswitch outside the bathroom? (there are also certain places you can install a lightswitch inside the bathroom)

Are you 100% positive the greys were in the Loop (centre 3) on the old fitting? Bog standard ceiling roses ain't the best thing to have in a bathroom. People are tending to use grey as a neutral - doesn't help there's no sleeving.

I have added photos of the switch to the album. I don't have a multimeter but B & Q is 5 mins away if I need to get one. The lightswitch is outside the bathroom. We do also have a pullswitch for the shower (dunno if that helps?) Our Builder/Electrician might have been trying to cut corners, but that is another story for another time. I am 99.9% positive that the greys were in the loop on the old fitting. I remember looking at them cause they were an odd colour, not what I am used to seeing.

Looking at the switch wiring, black appears to be used as neutral, grey as switch live and brown as permanent live.
If you connect your light with the two browns together and to nothing else, greys together and to the L terminal, Blacks together to the N terminal does this work?
Was that blue wire already in the fitting or have you added it? The L appears to be the side with the black stripe.

Can you post a clearer picture of the transformer (the cream/white object) in the fitting too? Just wondering if you have mixed up the wiring on this?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back