Loop in Ceiling Rose

Connected 2 browns together and to nothing, 2 blacks to N and 2 Greys to L. Nothing

Connected 2 browns together and to nothing, 2 blacks to L and 2 Greys to N. Nothing

New pics added to album of transformer. I did notice that there is a clear fuse thingy in the transformer where the blue/black goes into.

Sponsored Links
You will need a multimeter to identify what each wire is doing. I suspect the correct configuration will be the 2 greys to L, 2 blacks to N and the two browns together and to nothing else. You haven't had mains connected to the secondary have you? (Don't try this!!)

The secondary of the transformer is connected to the the brown and blue wires which connect to the lamps (extra low voltage.)

Sponsored Links
The secondary of the transformer is connected to the the brown and blue wires which connect to the lamps (extra low voltage.)

No, these have a molded brown plug on the end which connects to the light tray. I have a multimeter now and dont know what to do with it!! :oops:

OK, set it to ohms range and (with the electric off), disconnect the supply wires and can you measure the resistance between the L and N on the fitting?

The thing you have just put up - can you measure the resistance between L&N of the transformer with the supply wires disconnected?

The thing you have just put up - can you measure the resistance between L&N of the transformer with the supply wires disconnected?

I am obviously not doing something right. I am putting the red and black probes onto the L&N wires of the Transformer and getting readings of -115, -135.

You're right, you shouldn't be getting a -ve figure. When you touch the probes together you should get 0 ohms, when take them apart the figure should rise to infinity. When you measure the resistance of the transformer primary L - N (with the supply wires disconnected) you will hopefully see a resistance.

You're right, you shouldn't be getting a -ve figure. When you touch the probes together you should get 0 ohms, when take them apart the figure should rise to infinity. When you measure the resistance of the transformer primary L - N (with the supply wires disconnected) you will hopefully see a resistance.

Sorry spark123, I have been away for a couple of days working. I have done what you said and am getting a resistance of 002. This is at the 200 ohms setting on the multimeter.

Can you do the same for the secondary side of the transformer? Brown - Blue wire with the lamps unplugged?
Is 200 ohms the lowest setting?

Are you confident at using the multimeter to measure voltage AC?
Can you post a photo of the multimeter?

Just for testing
I wonder if you might be better buying a cheap pendant from b and q remove the rose from it, leave your light up and connect the flex into the brown and black ,connecters you have, fit a lamp and see if that works.
Then retry with grey and black to test the switch
It may be possible your fitting is at fault.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back