Loss of power to storage heaters after power line replacement.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I have a problem no one can seem to answer fully. Recently we had the power line to the house replaced as they were old and deemed unsafe. When they switched the power back on our key meter just had a blank screen we also lost power to our storage heaters at night (they don't come on at all anytime). Has anyone come across this, if the meter is blank will this cause it, EDF say it can't be and won't send anyone out till end of November as we still have power just not heat. Any help would be grate.

Matt

Attachments

• 20221017_183054.jpg
    20221017_183054.jpg
    196.8 KB · Views: 83
  • 20221017_183047.jpg
    20221017_183047.jpg
    228.2 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG-20221018-WA0008.jpeg
    IMG-20221018-WA0008.jpeg
    77.9 KB · Views: 87
Sponsored Links
Meter has failed. You have power to normal circuits as that's always on, but the heater supply is switched inside the meter, and therefore won't work unless the meter is also working.

If heating is required before a new meter is installed, an electrician could connect the heaters to the daytime supply.

Your meter has (somehow) forgotten that it should be switching on the off-peak power during the off-peak hours, which will charge the storage heaters. Sounds like a job for the meter-fitters, to put in a new off-peak meter.

Mention to them that you won't be paying them until they sort it out - I expect that will do the trick.

So looks like the meter is the issue? It's what I thought but EDF saying 100% can't be the meter I need to get a electrician out to 'fix' the heater issue. Is there any way I can get them to take it more seriously and come out and sort the meter before I get some out to look and possible charge me to say nothing they can do?

Sponsored Links
So looks like the meter is the issue? It's what I thought but EDF saying 100% can't be the meter I need to get a electrician out to 'fix' the heater issue. Is there any way I can get them to take it more seriously and come out and sort the meter before I get some out to look and possible charge me to say nothing they can do?
Maybe after your electrician has temporarily sorted the heating issue he/she would be able to get EDF to take the issue more seriously?

Kind Regards, John

Is it pre-pay? and are you topping it up?
Do you have elderly people or young children?

Contact edf, make sure you use the word complaint and tell them your next port of call is the ombudsman

Already contacted customer services? Next step is to contact our complaints team

Call: 0333 200 5101(1) Mon-Fri 8am to 5pm
Email: [email protected]
In writing: FREEPOST: EDF Energy – Complaints Resolution

if that doesn’t work try contacting

Jim Poole who is the Director of Customer Operations his email is

[email protected]

I don't have any current contacts in the metering team which is a shame cos I could have sent one of my previous colleagues round to take a look ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back