Lots of openings in outside wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
'ey up all,

I have a problem in that I want to install a 2400mm bi fold door . The return is about 600mm, the return in the adjacent wall to the next window is 1100mm. I suspect that the rules wont let me do this. I spend hours on t'net, can't find any sensible info. on this subject. Can anyone help?

Cheers

Steve

Sponsored Links
Well that's me baffled?? are you sure you have posted on the right forum? we do heating and plumbing! :confused:

I'm am baffled too. I thought at this is a building forum, sorry to upset you all. :oops:

But, , while I'm here, How close to window/door can be to a balanced flue outlet?

Ahh, I see now, I did put is in the plumbing section, my mistake, I see that the mod. has swapped this to 'building', thanks.

Sponsored Links
A quick sketch or some pics to clarify things will hep. With regards to the flue, take a photo of the opening and then tell us where you want to stick the flue.

Thank freddy, the flue can go anywhere, I thought that there is minimum distance that a flue can be away from a opening.

Re the sketch , I have to think how to this.

Do a sketch by hand and take a photo of it, add the photo to an album in your profile and post it here, it doesn't need to be anything fancy, tony set the bar pretty low so don't worry if it looks like a three year old did it.

Now down to the matter in hand;

A 600 return should be fine, particularly if it's a two-storey house.
(official guidance says 665 IIRC, but don't worry about that).

Thanks Tony, this is a bungalow, so I look OK with this.

I was worried about this because of some thing found on interweb thingy, on about P1+W1+P2+W2+P3+W4 divided by the first number you thought of etc. (from www.dfpnl.gov.uk.structure.pdf)

What does IIRC mean?

Thanks Tony, this is a bungalow, so I look OK with this.

I was worried about this because of some thing found on interweb thingy, on about P1+W1+P2+W2+P3+W4 divided by the first number you thought of etc. (from www.dfpnl.gov.uk.structure.pdf)

What does IIRC mean?

Actually, the position would be better if the house was two-storey rather than one-storey. This is because the additional weight would bear down on your return and enhance its' stiffness.

But still, 600 should be OK - I would be concerned if it was down to something like just two full bricks-length (440mm).

(Yes, that 'equations for Dummies' thing reminds me of those school maths problems - 'if three men can dig five holes in four days, how long would it take for six men to put up a fence?.........)

(If I Remember Correctly)

Hi,
The return to the north is 1100mm, to the side (where the bi fold is) 760mm. So looks OK then?

I'm getting to old, I was just to ask again what's IIRC, and noticed the bit in the corner. :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back