Low Energy Downlighters

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, could someone help me out here.

I am currently renovating the house entrance portch and am replacing the ceiling. Because it is quite a low ceiling I want to put two downlighters in the ceiling and want to use the low energy variety. However, in looking for a suitable fitting I have become a bit confused. There appears to be GU10 CFL fittings and SGU10 fittings which appear to be very similar.

Could someone tell me what the difference is between them, which I should be going for and any pros/cons for each.

Many thanks

Russell

Sponsored Links
As you want a low energy solution, something like this:

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/GLAT113E.html

would be a better choice for a hallway. Its 13 watts, and will reach full brightness within 30 seconds. A GU10 lamp takes about 90-120 seconds.

It has a 13cm cutout, twice as big as a standard downlight, but consider the extra light this will put out.

GLAT13S.JPG

It says it comes with a lamp, though I dont know what shade of white it will be. You want warm white (2700-3500k) to mimic halogen. Various shades are available up to daylight (about 6400k)

Sponsored Links
There appears to be GU10 CFL fittings and SGU10 fittings which appear to be very similar.

GU10 fittings accept GU10 (mains halogen) lamps.
There are two main types - normal halogen these are usually 50watt or 35watt.
You can also get low energy lamps that will go into the GU10 fitting. The low energy ones tend to be 9watt or 11 watt. There others.

To comply with the new legislation our government has determined that using the standard GU10 fitting with a low energy lamp i will not comply. This is because people will take out the low energy GU10 lamp and put in inefficient regular GU10 ones and then we will all die before Xmas because of global warming :rolleyes:

To stop people doing this, a special fitting that will only take special low energy lamps has been introduced. this is the SGU10 fitting.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back