Low Energy Lightbulbs.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am at present working in an empty house stripping the wallpaper with a steam wallpaper stripper prior to redecorating.

The lights are low energy mini flourescent type bulbs,

I found that when the light was switched off it continued to flicker and seemed to be never ending, I thought it might be something to do with short circuiting due to the steam, but taking another bulb from another room and plugging it in, there was no flicker, and replacing the one that flickered into another socket in the other room, it did not flicker.

Do these types of bulbs still contain a charge when they are switched off ??

I`ve never noticed this situation before when decorating other properties, or has this place got Ghosts and Ghoulies :evil:

Sponsored Links
Been asked and answered many times

When the switch is OFF capacitive coupling between Live and Switched Live in the wiring to the switch allows enough energy to reach the lamp and make it flash. A well known problem with energy saving lamps. They save this very small trickle of energy until it is enough to make the lamp flash.

Putting a capacitor across the lamp will absorb this energy and prevent the lamp flashing.

Capacitor 0.047uF micro Farads 250 volts AC in series with a resistor 100 ohms

Which come pre-packaged as a contact suppressor from RS Components

RS Stock No. 206-7847
Manufacturer Evox-Rifa
Manufacturers Part No. PMR209MB5470M100

There are other sources of the contact suppressors

Read more: //www.diynot.com/forums/electrics/energy-saving-bulb.347498/#2602926#ixzz2KhferxIr

Thanks for that info, the owner of the house has just had it rewired and was a bit concerned that because I was using the Steam Wallpaper Stripper the steam was was affecting the Electrics,

one has to be very tolerant with customers at times. ! :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back