Low Gas working pressure at Boiler

A doctor will typically study for his doctorate for 6 years or more, wheras realistically the ACS could be passed by someone reading the right books and studying for a month. I don't object to proving my competence every five years, what I object to is the fact that I have paid to prove it by doing my ACS and getting my certificates and yet I am forced to pay to put my name on a register I have no desire to be listed on before I can work.

Sponsored Links
ollski said:
A doctor will typically study for his doctorate for 6 years or more, wheras realistically the ACS could be passed by someone reading the right books and studying for a month. I don't object to proving my competence every five years, what I object to is the fact that I have paid to prove it by doing my ACS and getting my certificates and yet I am forced to pay to put my name on a register I have no desire to be listed on before I can work.

and the typical study time for a plumber is three years, why does everyone forget we all had to attend college to learn our trade in the first place.

Dont get me wrong I wholeheartedly agree with re sitting every five years as those men in suits keep changing the rules every five minutes.

What I object to is having to belong to a recognised body to prove competence to work on gas, the only body there is is CORGI but no one seems to think that a profit making organization with a MONOPLY is not the best to ensure safety and good practise in a trade!

i used to think the same untill i spoke to some docters who told me they are constantly ascessed on an regular basis and have to attend reg updates.plumbers do a apprentiship my self spent 4 years learning just about heating 16 years on iam still learning as far as i am concerned corgi do nothing for rgi and as for asking for tech info over the phone, don't because the answer nor mally goes along the lines of what do the mi say.
regards training mon plumber turns up on site,told by person in charge off you go to do the gas,returns 5 days later in the eyes of their employer they are competent gas man seen this happen so often in this neck of the woods,these people are then sent to peoples houses to service/install but had no real practical experience most young plumbers here do not know how to install afully pumped y/s plan because they are still being taught gravity hw,most of the house's i go to have nocontrol over hw or two/three mv and a single channel time swicth

Sponsored Links
i agree totally with billy bob and olski seems a lot more do too we all know its a joke even thinking gas appliances / spares / consumables will ever be withheld from joe ( public) and i for one would never touch the gas side of my house i really only wanted to see what the opinion of BQ / WICKES / etc selling gas bit n bobs was, seems to me there would be more money in it for the regd guys if it was more regulated
so next time u get a corgi guy out with u for your annual assesment ( yearly is it ) ask him if they are considering stopping the sale of gas items to joe

my appologies to u hard working gas lads n lasses ? i only wanted to err hmm upset the cart so to speak (apples everywhere now ) theres a site on the net called BES they do everything for gas fitting and nowhere did i see it say you had to be trade (meters as well ) i thought the meter side was the holy grail of transco or the likes of them

no spull chabker wis hart makin this

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back