low pitch roof on kitchen extension

10 degrees is practically flat, especially in terms of the Velux. This could be your weak spot as far as water ingress is concerned.
The designer wants flogging.

on plan it was 18, but the roofer got it wrong, installed it at 10. SO are you saying to be 100% water tight, I might need to remove the velux's completely and also use a low pitch membrane as I mentioned previously?

Sponsored Links
on plan it was 18, but the roofer got it wrong, installed it at 10.

How did the roofer get it wrong......

I dont think I can raise the pitch to 15 degrees without going above the level of the upstairs windows.......

Either the design was wrong or the pitch assumption was wrong or the design showed a steeper pitch whereby there were window wells etc.
Which was it?

There could be an answer in that you could improve the membrane and the flashing abutment around the Velux, but it will take a sympathetic and conscientious builder.

It's not really possible for the roofer to have got it wrong if he's starting with wall plate at x height, and is constrained by not being able to have a ridge higher than the sill of the upstairs windows. Either the plan must have shown window wells, or the builder made the building taller than the plan (or deeper than the plan)?

Was there a full plans submission for b-regs that was signed off, or was it done on building notice?

How did the roofer get it wrong......

I dont think I can raise the pitch to 15 degrees without going above the level of the upstairs windows.......

Either the design was wrong or the pitch assumption was wrong or the design showed a steeper pitch whereby there were window wells etc.
Which was it?

There could be an answer in that you could improve the membrane and the flashing abutment around the Velux, but it will take a sympathetic and conscientious builder.

Untitled.jpg

Sponsored Links

It's not really possible for the roofer to have got it wrong if he's starting with wall plate at x height, and is constrained by not being able to have a ridge higher than the sill of the upstairs windows. Either the plan must have shown window wells, or the builder made the building taller than the plan (or deeper than the plan)?

Was there a full plans submission for b-regs that was signed off, or was it done on building notice?

full plans and 9 visits by BC before being signed off by them

Something's not right there. I can't scale from a drawing on a screen accurately, but if your eaves are roughly 2.5M, then the rise on the roof looks like its around 1M. If the run is 2.5M as you say, then that's a 20 degree pitch.

Something's not right there. I can't scale from a drawing on a screen accurately, but if your eaves are roughly 2.5M, then the rise on the roof looks like its around 1M. If the run is 2.5M as you say, then that's a 20 degree pitch.

The extension is 3.5m

The extension is 3.5m

Haha okay. That should make it more like 16 degrees then. My 2.5 eaves height estimation is pessimistic though, as is the 1M roof rise estimate. Can you take some photos for us of the side and rear elevations? Ten degrees seems very low for the roof shown in your rear elevation.

Hi. it would be quite straight forward to strip the existing tiles off the roof and reboard with 18mm OSB3 and then fibreglass the entire roof, the velux would probably be better raised up onto a kerb. I have done many jobs like this over the years and it would solve your problem once and for all. Please give me a call if you wish to discuss further.Phil 07930 548 737

Counting the bricks, that does look like about 11 degrees. You could finish the roof a course of bricks higher and go for a shallower fascia, but over 3.5 metres I think that would only get you to 14/15 degrees. Anyway, you'd need to redo most of the roof and that's probably not what you want to hear?

Did you use an architect? If you did give him a punch! I have refused to tile roofs like this because it will always become a problem. Why do architects keep drawing roofs too flat? Tile manufacturers dont help with their headline grabbing 'low pitch tile' (which turns out can only be laid on a low pitch if the roof is sealed up water tight first!)
You really need to stop the rain getting under the tiles rather than using a more water proof felt.
Ultimately you need to raise the pitch somehow not least for the sake of the velux (think the lowest they go is20 ? not sure) which of course will be expensive!
A cheaper solution that MIGHT work is shutting the gauge of the tiles introducing an extra course or two?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back