low pitch roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi i have been told i have a low pitch roof and have the wrong tiles on it for that pitch, could you tell me what sort of tiles in need.

Sponsored Links
35 degrees is too low for hand made clay Plain tiles

30 degrees is too low for machine made Plain tiles

20 degrees is too low for natural slates

17.5 degrees is too low for man made slates

15 degrees is too low for most concrete tiles

It's all comparative. What's your pitch and what type of tile have you got?

marley wessex can go lo pitch, wouldn't win any beauty contests though! about 17.5deg with normal underslaters felt.

Roofer said:
35 degrees is too low for hand made clay Plain tiles

30 degrees is too low for machine made Plain tiles

20 degrees is too low for natural slates

17.5 degrees is too low for man made slates

15 degrees is too low for most concrete tiles

It's all comparative. What's your pitch and what type of tile have you got?
just mesured my roof seems to be about 10 degrees does this mean it is to low for tiles, if so what sort of roof does it need :oops:

Sponsored Links
looks like copper or lead then! seriously, tiling a 10 deg roof is not an option, its almost flat.

ongley

Your not the guy selling the tiles on E Bay are you ? he also had to remove tiles cause his roof was too low a pitch. BCO failled it ?

Mick Leek said:
ongley

Your not the guy selling the tiles on E Bay are you ? he also had to remove tiles cause his roof was too low a pitch. BCO failled it ?
no my roof was like it when we bought it :mad: :oops:
Why do you want some tiles looks like I might have to replace mine :LOL:

noseall said:
what sort of tiles?
sorry only joking they look well used and i probably wont get round to doing anything till summer any way :)

I think the only way for that low pitch is to use metal sheeting tile effect. Available up to 6m in length and 1m wide.

vtileroof.JPG

Best thing to do is ask Building Control, i've just submitted an application (up here in the windy north) for a 14 degree lean to roof with artificial slate.

Now the min. required for slate is 17.5 degrees. But my local BCO has said that if we put on a plywood decking & 2 layers of bonded roof felt, with the battens & tiles over - we're ok.

The thing u gotta remember is that in windy + / or heavy rain areas you might constantly get problems, esp. with a 10 degree roof.

Maybe speak to your BCO + offer what i've said above + increase your headlap of the tiles from the min. 75mm to say 100mm???

I know this is an old topic, but one of the problems with searching for info is the plethora of possibly relevant results, so tagging onto an existing one which is completely relevant may help people searching in the future.

My council's Building Control advice for residential stuff says, when talking about single-storey rear extensions like wot I want:

Generally roof designs must not obstruct
any adjoining properties (house and
garden) right to sunlight and daylight. To
help prevent this it is recommended that
the roof pitch is set to an angle as
shallow as possible (depending on the
roof type, construction and material).

Now I don't mind using some special system, nor do I mind if it costs a bit more, nor do I mind if the tiles are only decorative, but I really, really want a roof with a 10-11° pitch (rising 0.7m in 3.7m).

Does anybody have any pointers to systems/design details such as Onduline?

Are there any effective water-repelling treatments that can be applied to tiles to reduce the risk of them getting too wet?

Are there any effective water-repelling treatments that can be applied to tiles to reduce the risk of them getting too wet?

i can't think of anything that will last.

i guess this is why there is a minimum pitch for fragmented roof coverings. single skin roofs will deal with any pitch.

unfortunately those that are fragmented and shallow pitched need to resist fluctuations in temperature, persistent rain, the odd covering of snow AND still remain watertight.

don't be surprised if some company has a miracle cure.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back