Low profile down lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

Please can you help! With much naivity I embarked on a self build months ago and my inexperience shows at every step as I would have challenged the architect's design many many times!

I'm now looking for low profile down lights for a virtually non existant ceiling void. Can anyone suggest anything that we might be able to use? It is a single story gable kitchen extension with a low pitched ceiling so most protruding lights will be an issue.

I'm worried that this poor design will mean that i will have to interupt the continuous insulation layer as specified by building regs. Help!!!

Many thanks

Leo

Sponsored Links
This has been asked many times in the past, by people whose architect (or their own error) has fallen foul of Building Regulation and LABC requirements.

Whatever happens you cannot cut into the Kingspan (or whatever) as it will change the thermal characteristics of the ceiling, and LABC men (and women) don't like that.

There are shallow LED lights about. e.g.
https://www.downlightsdirect.co.uk/downlights/shallow/shallow-led-downlight.html
These ones have an 18mm depth, but they will still need breathing space above them, or they will die - quickly.

Your architect should have specified a second ceiling layer with free space if you wanted recessed torch lights.

The general solution is to fit surface lights.

Search, I have posted links a few times to LED fittings that are no deeper than the plasterboard.

Sponsored Links
This has been asked many times in the past, by people whose architect (or their own error) has fallen foul of Building Regulation and LABC requirements.

Whatever happens you cannot cut into the Kingspan (or whatever) as it will change the thermal characteristics of the ceiling, and LABC men (and women) don't like that.

There are shallow LED lights about. e.g.
https://www.downlightsdirect.co.uk/downlights/shallow/shallow-led-downlight.html
These ones have an 18mm depth, but they will still need breathing space above them, or they will die - quickly.

Your architect should have specified a second ceiling layer with free space if you wanted recessed torch lights.

The general solution is to fit surface lights.

Thanks TTC. I'm basically wet behind the ears as far as this is concerned and took the architect's views without question. Now we are at the point where it matters I now know why its a problem! As its a kitchen we really need something brighter over the work areas, most I can find are only 400 lm as opposed to the recommended 7-800 lm. We could use more per m2 but apart from the prohibitive cost it wont look to good either.

Will look in to surface or semi recessed lighting then.

Search, I have posted links a few times to LED fittings that are no deeper than the plasterboard.

Thanks. I did try a search but because technology is changing quite quickly I thought I would ask again in case there was a newer product on the market.

Funnily enough the architect applied to BR for us!
Then it's almost certainly the case that you have to stop doing any more electrical work, as it's almost certainly the case that your architect will have told Building Control that a registered self-certifying electrician will be doing the electrics.

If this does not happen you will not get a completion certificate from Building Control.

Funnily enough the architect applied to BR for us!
Then it's almost certainly the case that you have to stop doing any more electrical work, as it's almost certainly the case that your architect will have told Building Control that a registered self-certifying electrician will be doing the electrics.

If this does not happen you will not get a completion certificate from Building Control.

I'm sorry if i mislead, I'm not doing the electrics myself but certainly need to know what we want and what we can have rather than be forced down a route we don't want to go. It was the architect who suggested interfering with the continuous insulation layer and my calling building control that discovered this was a no no. My wife and i are very cross that he suggested it now we know it is wrong.

In this situation, you need to make a working proposal to LABC and get their agreement as to the approach. You don't want to have to rip out your ceiling and wiring after its all been nicely plastered..

In this situation, you need to make a working proposal to LABC and get their agreement as to the approach. You don't want to have to rip out your ceiling and wiring after its all been nicely plastered..

Thanks TTC

We are just going to have to limit our options then to semi recessed or surface mount lighting which is a real pain as the ceiling is quite low. We do have a certified electrician on board but obviously the detail (as in what light fittings we would like) is our choice as long as it is within the confines of building regs. You have been very helpful in basically telling me straight, there is no option for recessed lighting in this situation and we have to take a different route.

Hi Morticer, did you find a solution to your down light problem, as I'm looking for shallow down lights as well.
Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back