low voltage/mains voltage bathroom lighting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, am a new member and regualr reader of the forum. Read quite alot on spotlights in bathrooms. Know a little about different types of lamp and what you can and can't do with them. Hopefully am not a case of a little knowledge is a bad thing!

Now having a new bathroom fitted. I was going to redo lighting myself but now thinking of getting a part P qualified electrician to do it now because I like the idea of having an installation certificate and would really prefer an electrician to do it anyway.

I'm not really into having a floodlit bathroom like some folks, with banks of dazzling spots everywhere. My bathroom is quite modest in size, 2 x 2.5 meteres and has a large window. I've been happy up till now with a central compact flourescent of only 8 watts. I know it takes a while to warm up, a few minutes, usually put it on when home from work and switch it off at bedtime. As you might guess I'm quite into keeping electric bills down.

I'm planning to have a couple of CF spots (zone 3), one above sink and one above wc/corner cabinet - on one switch (outside bathroom).

On another switch (dimmer) I intend 3 mains tungsten halogens (35w), zone 1's - one above shower, one between shower and bath and one over bath.

I think this is OK and reasonably flexible/sensible.

The electrician I have in mind says he only really likes low voltage stuff in bathrooms.

I'd be intested in comments/advice/help.

I know there are issues with dimming TH's but there are issues with dimming low voltage TH stuff too.

Also, a thought - with low voltage, I'd forever be stuck with one kind of lamp. With mains, GU10 fittings, there may be more options down the road, like GU10 led's (not dimmable I know).

Many thanks for your thoughts in advance.

Sponsored Links
If you did go with 12V halogens, you can already get LED retrofits, and I have some retrofits at home (samples from EdisonOpto) with 15W emitters as the light source. These are brighter than 35W halogens, so may be an alternative when they become mainstream.

hello Tomny,
Its not so much a matter of low/mains voltage but more a case of the IP rating of the fitting. If you fit IP65 downlights with a fully enclosed front you will be able to install them in zone 2. (that said i prefer low voltage)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back